• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

I would really be all in if it wasn't for that secondary wave digging into the tn valley potentially screwing the pooch and inducing a southerly flow. Overall though the preceding airmass over parts of the Carolinas and VA would certainly support a wet snow event in places.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

From WxSouth on Facebook.

The Plot thickens. The European Model (and now GFS too) continue to show a strong piece of energy dropping in behind the initial rainfall in the Southeast Thursday night. At the same time this is going on, a new piece of the Polar Vortex is plunging due south through Wisconsin Friday . Its a strange setup, and a testament to the new strong Ultra-Ridge in the Western Part of North America. If that ridge builds so tall, the tables turn quickly for the Eastern States, with a Snowstorm coming up the East Coast. Right now though, this is so complicated and has timing issues of the various pieces, the models can hardly resolve it this far out.
But I'd keep informed of the weather along the East Coast, from Georgia up the East Coast for Thursday night and Friday. I have much more breakdown on the temperature profiles, moisture transport, and question how far west to pull the moisture in the Cold air at wxsouth.com.
The chances are growing though for the first snow flakes of the season for part of NC, Virginia and further north....followed by a slug of intense cold air (which has it's own snow seperately in TN, KY, WV) on Friday night and Saturday. Trends on models will mean everything from this point on, as anything is possible, from full phasing, to a nudge eastward, but the map below shows the area I'm watching.

FB_IMG_1512263946063.jpg

From WxSouth on Facebook.

The Plot thickens. The European Model (and now GFS too) continue to show a strong piece of energy dropping in behind the initial rainfall in the Southeast Thursday night. At the same time this is going on, a new piece of the Polar Vortex is plunging due south through Wisconsin Friday . Its a strange setup, and a testament to the new strong Ultra-Ridge in the Western Part of North America. If that ridge builds so tall, the tables turn quickly for the Eastern States, with a Snowstorm coming up the East Coast. Right now though, this is so complicated and has timing issues of the various pieces, the models can hardly resolve it this far out.
But I'd keep informed of the weather along the East Coast, from Georgia up the East Coast for Thursday night and Friday. I have much more breakdown on the temperature profiles, moisture transport, and question how far west to pull the moisture in the Cold air at wxsouth.com.
The chances are growing though for the first snow flakes of the season for part of NC, Virginia and further north....followed by a slug of intense cold air (which has it's own snow seperately in TN, KY, WV) on Friday night and Saturday. Trends on models will mean everything from this point on, as anything is possible, from full phasing, to a nudge eastward, but the map below shows the area I'm watching.

FB_IMG_1512263946063.jpg
Great post, but its hard to get that moisture that far north with strong cold front suppressing it south. Or will the cold relax and trend north/ NW but still be cold enough to support " Frozen".

The system is quite suppressed and it's kind of late in the game for those shenanigans, but suppression is your friend in the medium range!

Great post, but its hard to get that moisture that far north with strong cold front suppressing it south. Or will the cold relax and trend north/ NW but still be cold enough to support " Frozen".
Seems the past few years the frozen stuff almost always trends NW.

Last edited by a moderator:
We should be watching the speed and depth (but mainly speed) of the central US trof as it retrogrades south around 12/07 12z. If it moves faster and a little more amplified (not more zonal but "sharper"), then we could get initiation of that low and maturing pretty rapidly. Enough so to give us a solid low in the 'benchmark' around 12/8

Looking forward to a possible prolonged and heavy rain event for my area, something we could use after recent dryness following Irma's heavy rains of nearly 3 months ago. Per the 12Z Euro, it may be a rainy period with only rather short breaks for a whopping 54 hours lasting from 7 AM Wed til 1 PM Fri! I'd better make sure my treadmill is in working order. As a result of this being so long, the Euro qpf is 2". Whereas I think this is most likely overdone when considering the consensus/ensembles, it is a sign of solid rains likely to come, regardless. As an added bonus, the rain would likely be a rain cold for the second half of this period. Even the warm biased Euro has 50s to start and then down to as cold as the nasty high 30s for the last 12 hours of the rain. That's what can happen even near the coast with 850s only near +4 C, N to NE winds, no sunshine, and steady light to moderate rains. But this cold could easily be overdone as the 18Z GFS has temps no colder than the mid 40s with the rain. That run still gives us a nice 1.25" of qpf.

And there is the rub, always in the south. So rarely do we get a reasonable system, it's always if, if, if down here. Timing is what it takes. I like to be sure there is moisture in place, others want the cold. I figure I'm 70 and I've never seen a winter when it didn't get cold enough to snow, but most winters it didn't because it didn't rain, lol. It takes both, but over the top, it is timing in the south. If the cold air push is not overpowering the moisture push, if the moisture push isn't overpowering the cold, if the winds are right, if the moon isn't a bowl crescent that catches the rain....if either is even on the map at the same time, lol. It's all about timing the pieces into a harmonious winter confection, and not the usual heartbreak :) In the south, timing is designed to break your will, make you weep, and tear out your hair on the way to the cliff. But it keeps you coming back for more torture by giving you the occasional moment of ecstasy....like 100 years ago when Atl got over 2 inches of ip/snow :) It's Lucy 99, and Charlie Brown 0. Climo says no, so I usually start from there....at least until CR blew my mind by defying climo and making it his 'itch, with his Xmas storm....and Larry did the same for Sav. I even got an inch out of that XMas one, lol. T

Seems the past few years the frozen stuff almost always trends NW.
Looking forward to a possible prolonged and heavy rain event for my area, something we could use after recent dryness following Irma's heavy rains of nearly 3 months ago. Per the 12Z Euro, it may be a rainy period with only rather short breaks for a whopping 54 hours lasting from 7 AM Wed til 1 PM Fri! I'd better make sure my treadmill is in working order. As a result of this being so long, the Euro qpf is 2". Whereas I think this is most likely overdone when considering the consensus/ensembles, it is a sign of solid rains likely to come, regardless. As an added bonus, the rain would likely be a rain cold for the second half of this period. Even the warm biased Euro has 50s to start and then down to as cold as the nasty high 30s for the last 12 hours of the rain. That's what can happen even near the coast with 850s only near +4 C, N to NE winds, no sunshine, and steady light to moderate rains. But this cold could easily be overdone as the 18Z GFS has temps no colder than the mid 40s with the rain. That run still gives us a nice 1.25" of qpf.
That'll feel like an Atlanta winter night, lol. 38 and pouring rain. Buckhead was famous for that, lol. Damn dp! T

Back