• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Dec 7-10

I am officially up for the party. The latest nam absolutely RAILS central Alabama. Clown maps have 6-9 inches, which is ridiculous, but Mets are really beginning to ramp up there wording. Should have Winter Storm Warnings issued soon for BHAM area. JP Dice has 2+ in a large area, but is afraid it could be more. Has 3+ in areas too. This is what we all hope and dream for. Good luck everyone and lets have fun. I am about to get the coffee brewing!

This is one to save. Wow. Claycounty Chaser and Xtreme are gonna mess their pants.

namconus_asnow_seus_13.png

Last edited:
This is one to save. Wow.

namconus_asnow_seus_9.png

ARCC, I think you will get hammered. I can't wait to hear your reports. I feel like I am razor close to the line where it comes to heavy snowfall, but it will be close. I just feel like this is going to be a long duration event, and will likely over perform. The radar looks absolutely LOADED. That moisture is still feeding all the way back into Texas. My weenie level is through the roof for this one. The GFS looks very similar to the image posted above from the NAM as well.

From a friend ref FFC Chat, they are "concerned" that the wave is closing off, which would result in system slowing down and resulting in longer duration and also suppesing the warm nose... Considering running advisories/warning "one or two rows" of counties South
South and East or just south? As in more towards Athens?

From a friend ref FFC Chat, they are "concerned" that the wave is closing off, which would result in system slowing down and resulting in longer duration and also suppesing the warm nose... Considering running advisories/warning "one or two rows" of counties South
This just keeps getting better and better. I hope this doesn't turn into a disaster for some areas...hopefully most schools in the warning areas will close. This is really a fluid situation.

ARCC, I think you will get hammered. I can't wait to hear your reports. I feel like I am razor close to the line where it comes to heavy snowfall, but it will be close. I just feel like this is going to be a long duration event, and will likely over perform. The radar looks absolutely LOADED. That moisture is still feeding all the way back into Texas. My weenie level is through the roof for this one. The GFS looks very similar to the image posted above from the NAM as well.

Here is to everyone getting a good snow. I'm not confident yet until it starts pouring, but this one easily has the best shot at a larger amount snow than I've seen in years. Except for '93 ive never seen more than four inches. I think we received around four in 2000 and also around four in the Snowjam in '14. It would be nice to break that, but it would also be nice to see two inches so I'm not picky.

That's a best case scenario here, warm nose getting surpressed

This just keeps getting better and better. I hope this doesn't turn into a disaster for some areas...hopefully most schools in the warning areas will close. This is really a fluid situation.
What will "save us" from disaster (Snow Jam 14" is the surface/road temps so it is a typical snow event for here.. In short we will have a good amount of "slush time" for the roads..

Man

Wow...great! Are the models showing it is closing off.

Its been some time since we had an analog like this event. Could
be similar to, albeit a little weaker system this time around,
the March 1 2009 event when an upper low produced heavy snow with
temps in mid to upper 30s. The snow was so heavy that temps fell
to 32 to 33 and roads quickly become snow covered.

Fortunately, timing of cooler temperatures tonight is not matching
heaviest precip which should mainly occur today. Will need to keep
an eye on this as high resolution model guidance still hanging on
to decent amounts of precip tonight. Will ultimately depend on
if short wave closes off into upper low. So far model handling of
this has only shown subtle increase. If low were to cutoff
completely and slow down, amounts would be significantly higher.

They reference in the AFD (FFC)

Back