• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Oppressive Ornery Obstinate Opposite October

Tony, the weakening sun combined with this potential major volcanic eruption would be interesting to follow globally. It would be nice to at least have sea level fall for a change!
Larry, they could do the rubber duck experiment again. Track the changes in ocean currents due to a blanketed atmosphere. I wish I could find the rubber duck map. It's fascinating where those little things went over time....hmmm, unless it was a hoax. Dang, I'm all paranoid now, that the rubber duck dumping in the Pac never happened. What a way to break a little boy at heart's heart, lol. But I digress. It's going to take some doing to pull off another Maunder Minimum, but low sun activity, and big eruptions would sure get us going that way!
On a slightly different note, but in the composition, is the shocking advent of invisible spiders building huge, vast, scary big networks of invisible webs all over freakin' everything!! You remember me reporting long runs of web a few years back, and in correlation we had lows near 0 both winters. I froze some bubbles one of them. It was cold! Well, since then we've not had the spiders around here making 100 foot runs all over that you could see in the sunlight. And not good winters....But now they are back, and they are invisible!!! You get them in your face every where you go. You are 40 feet from the nearest obstacle, and here is a 100 foot run of invisible web, and right off the ground so you tangle up in it. I'm telling you Larry, something is afoot! T

Larry, they could do the rubber duck experiment again. Track the changes in ocean currents due to a blanketed atmosphere. I wish I could find the rubber duck map. It's fascinating where those little things went over time....hmmm, unless it was a hoax. Dang, I'm all paranoid now, that the rubber duck dumping in the Pac never happened. What a way to break a little boy at heart's heart, lol. But I digress. It's going to take some doing to pull off another Maunder Minimum, but low sun activity, and big eruptions would sure get us going that way!
On a slightly different note, but in the composition, is the shocking advent of invisible spiders building huge, vast, scary big networks of invisible webs all over freakin' everything!! You remember me reporting long runs of web a few years back, and in correlation we had lows near 0 both winters. I froze some bubbles one of them. It was cold! Well, since then we've not had the spiders around here making 100 foot runs all over that you could see in the sunlight. And not good winters....But now they are back, and they are invisible!!! You get them in your face every where you go. You are 40 feet from the nearest obstacle, and here is a 100 foot run of invisible web, and right off the ground so you tangle up in it. I'm telling you Larry, something is afoot! T
Edit: No, it seems legit, if horrifying for the trash gyres. https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/w...000-rubber-duckies-lost-at-sea-teach-us-about

As I discussed in my earlier post tropical volcanic eruptions disrupt the radiation balance of the top of the Brewer Dobson Circulation such that the meridional temperature gradient in the mid-upper stratosphere (higher temps poleward) weakens or reverses, and during the winter the meridional temperature gradient steepens and this leads to an intensification of the polar vortex but why? While it's true that the troposphere cools in response to increased sulfate aerosol flux into the stratosphere, the stratosphere actually doesn't cool. This is because the sulfate aerosols not only reflect incoming shortwave radiation from the sun (a physical process that cools the troposphere) but they also absorb some of that radiation and absorb some of the longwave radiation from earths surface. It's this absorption of radiation that warms the stratosphere at and just above the level where these aerosols reside. This warming of the stratosphere which results from this is what augments the poleward temperature gradient in the stratosphere, which according to the thermal wind relation requires a stronger westerly jet. This intensified westerly jet is also associated with a stronger polar vortex and thus a +AO and +NAO which therefore trickles down to a warmer winter here in the SE US in spite of cooler global temperatures. The warming that results from this aforementioned radiation absorption is also what contributes to induced westerly wind descent in the equatorial stratosphere. This essentially favors a tendency for a westerly QBO, and the westerly QBO selectively filters mid latitude Rossby Waves such that their momentum fluxes will be directed equatorward and/or cross-equatorial. This physical process also strengthens the polar because the lack of momentum deposition onto the mean bgd flow from Rossby Waves allows the polar night jet (which encapsulates the polar vortex) to remain strong...

50s for highs Sunday and lows in the 30s? I'd take it!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

Role reversal ... Not what one would hope to see, but then, it is only early autumn ...

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_fh240-240.gif
240 hrs out? No thanks

It's dead in here! The big freeze is coming next week! More rain this weekend, some mountain snow, a tropical entity in the gulf, Robert says winter storms are going to start showing up for us in 6-8 weeks!? I mean, where's the chatter?? Weather is about to be lit! :)
I took a break from the fourms after Irma, but I'm back.

High of 68º way down here today ... :cool:

Just wish it would keep coming, and coming and coming until March, b/c then y'all a bit up the road a piece would really have some fun ... ;)

Reality check ... o_O

Last edited:
Back