Wintry More SE Snow ? (1/16-1/18)

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
I'm just not as good w/ SC snowfall haha, it helps when you've analyzed 800+ historical storms for NC...

Good point. That is how I feel around here. I feel like I am doing a disservice to areas in MS/AL/GA/TN/NC when I constantly post about the South Carolina area; but I really do not know enough to speak accurately about those areas.

I know when it's going to "snow" but not anything to guessing the parameters and climo to various mesoscale events happening that way.

Probably seeing the heaviest snow of the night here right now. When it first started, we had bigger flakes though. I realize with these small flakes it takes a lot to get any good accumulations. Even with temps near 20, still not seeing fast accumulations due to the small flake size.

Reactions: GaWx
Probably seeing the heaviest snow of the night here right now. When it first started, we had bigger flakes though. I realize with these small flakes it takes a lot to get any good accumulations. Even with temps near 20, still not seeing fast accumulations due to the small flake size.

Due to wetter snow. When temps are above freezing, the snowflakes sticks to each other due to them being wet thus producing larger snowflakes. As ratios continue to improve, the snowflakes will get finer and finer. This won't be snow you can make a snowman or snowball with.

Reactions: metfascination
snow grains like you guys are seeing in the colder zones will accumulate quickly because you dont have to worry about latent heat release with merging flakes as they hit the ground. the south is used to wet, boring , crappy flakes.

You guys are good. In fact, that is how you get higher ratios! :)

Reactions: metfascination
Due to wetter snow. When temps are above freezing, the snowflakes sticks to each other due to them being wet thus producing larger snowflakes. As ratios continue to improve, the snowflakes will get finer and finer. This won't be snow you can make a snowman or snowball with.

Yea. Just seems like the small flakes take forever to add up though lol.

snow grains like you guys are seeing in the colder zones will accumulate quickly because you dont have to worry about latent heat release with merging flakes as they hit the ground. the south is used to wet, boring , crappy flakes.

You guys are good. In fact, that is how you get higher ratios! :)

Odd because it seems like the opposite so far lol. But, maybe that will change.