• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry More SE Snow ? (1/16-1/18)

Officially 1,000 members !!!! Thanks everyone
06695ed0a784e3a2e8747316833ce4f5.gif

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Hey Eric you can answer this. Is the algorithm for Kuchera snow maps messing up. I noticed it always looks less than the regular 10:1. I feel like we should average around 14:1

It's probably going to be higher than Kuchera shows, while the high moisture content of the heavier snow would contribute to lower SLR I think it's unrealistic to assume they'll be 10:1 unless you're mixing w/ rain which doesn't seem too likely for most of the event from RDU & points NW

Hey Eric you can answer this. Is the algorithm for Kuchera snow maps messing up. I noticed it always looks less than the regular 10:1. I feel like we should average around 14:1

It uses temps in the column (other jargon) but like; it might be seeing warmer air in some areas, aloft or at surface level.

Very very light dusting in McCalla with temp at 29 degrees. Hoping the bands will continue to hit, because we have hit a lull. Going to be hard to pick up any appreciable accumulation without a nice long and consolidated snow band.

New snow band cranking right now.

Last edited:
GFS with a cut off low now
500hv.conus.png
Columbia,SC will see no more than maybe an Inch of Snow because if we get mixing that would definitely cut totals and system slower on all models now which will bring it into the state from about 8am-1pm than originally expected 6am-10am where temps would have been colder.

Columbia,SC will see no more than maybe an Inch of Snow because if we get mixing that would definitely cut totals and system slower on all models now which will bring it into the state from about 8am-1pm than originally expected 6am-10am where temps would have been colder.
Timing is everything. We've had sunny skies all day and near 50 degrees. Now we have cloud cover to help secure that warm air from radiating back out tonight. No doubt some bl issues to start. Its going to take the 2nd flake to stick instead of the 1st.

Back