• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

Latest sonde into Michael's eye shows the minimum central pressure has fallen to near 943 hPa given the 945 reading w/ 20 KT wind. The hurricane hunters vortex data message (VDM) also shows the eyewall is still open on the SW side. Amazing how much this storm has intensified in spite of this, likely doing so via the asymmetric route I alluded to Tue morning on twitter.

recon_AF306-1314A-MICHAEL_dropsonde7_20181010-0725.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 3.58.38 AM.png

Latest sonde into Michael's eye shows the minimum central pressure has fallen to near 943 hPa given the 945 reading w/ 20 KT wind. The hurricane hunters vortex data message (VDM) also shows the eyewall is still open on the SW side. Amazing how much this storm has intensified in spite of this, likely doing so via the asymmetric route I alluded to Tue morning on twitter.

View attachment 6886

View attachment 6885

You think it will close before landfall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In regards to the NW trend we always tend to see with winter storms, is a NW trend something that applies to tropical systems as well?

"Reports from an Air Force Reserve Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate
that maximum sustained winds have increased to near 140 mph (220
km/h) with higher gusts. Michael is an extremely dangerous category
4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Some
additional strengthening is possible before landfall.
After
landfall, Michael should weaken as it crosses the southeastern
United States."

Goodness...to think those low slp on Euro/HMON/HWRF could actually verify...

It's already within striking distance & stronger than what the HWRF was initially predicting a few days ago near landfall.

Wow! I was thinking it would start to weaken by now.

It's likely closer to 939 or 940 but given how close extrapolated MSLP has been to actual MSLP verified by sondes, I wouldn't think they'll differ much beyond a millibar or so here.

Eric, I think he prob. has 1 good last shot to try and hit Cat 5, what you think?

Chances are small, because the environment is far from perfect, he's still a long ways from getting there atm, and shelf waters will limit the integrated amount of fuel he has to work with but the closing of the eyewall makes a category 5 a legitimate, albeit small possibility because now Michael will be able to intensify more quickly.

Chances are small, because the environment is far from perfect, he's still a long ways from getting there atm, and shelf waters will limit the integrated amount of fuel he has to work with but the closing of the eyewall makes a category 5 a legitimate, albeit small possibility because now Michael will be able to intensify more quickly.
I agree. I am still amazed it took this long to close the eyewall fully and be as strong as it is .def definitely not the typical northern GOM hurricane for sure

I agree. I am still amazed it took this long to close the eyewall fully and be as strong as it is .def definitely not the typical northern GOM hurricane for sure

Agreed, the process of asymmetric intensification via persistent/large vortical hot towers is what was able to allow Michael to intensify despite that.

Back