• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Major Hurricane Michael

Very high winds just a few thousand feet aloft above Durham County moving into Wake. Was able to find a few 100+ returns from the radar in Clayton at .5 ele.

Rah just throwing out blanket severe t-storm warning to cover this quick hitting band of wind..... I know this is associated with a TC transitioning to extra-tropical but this is like a derecho

Derechos are usually driven by strong rear inflow jets from very deep, very long-lived convective complexes. This seems to be more along the lines of what you'd anticipate w/ a sting jet which I mentioned earlier this morning. The winds were definitely influenced by similar derecho-esque processes in areas closer to the VA border though where deep convection persisted earlier today but the strong winds are also occurring in areas almost completely devoid of any deep convection, which implies another culprit is largely at work. The sudden drop in dew points as the wind gusts moved thru many places in central NC is a signature of a sting jet as the low-levels try to dry out and hydrometeor loading superimposes onto evaporative cooling to create large-scale downdrafts that mix stronger winds down from aloft. You often see a deformation/"hook-like" appendage orientated from south-north on the back end of an area of rather intense (& often rapidly deepening) area of low pressure. Here, this rapidly deepening low we often see in sting jets may be compensated for by isallobaric processes as local pressure gradients tightened on the NW side of Michael, often more akin to what you'd see in an extratropical cyclone of course.

On the other hand, I still believe while there's definitely thermal advection across Michael atm and the +PV anomalies are becoming zonally extensive wrt the tropopause (potentially indicative of extratropical transition), there's still a pretty decent low-level, diabatic PV tower leftover in Michael so it's still a warm core, tropical system to a large extent. This is definitely starting to get into the gray area generally speaking.
43696243_482327622251661_7167548638833410048_n.png

Max gust on the front side was 33, 45 on the backside.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
All the big stuff missed to the north of us. Your power ever come back on?

All the big stuff missed to the north of us. Your power ever come back on?
It was on when I got home thankfully, been struggling though over the past 10 minutes

But yeah im happy the strong stuff missed to the north. I'm not sure we would get power back as quickly as we did with florence if it was taken out

Very high winds just a few thousand feet aloft above Durham County moving into Wake. Was able to find a few 100+ returns from the radar in Clayton at .5 ele.
100 over granville now at 2300 ft

I'm just in awe of the thrashing that Michael was able to give to NC today, after spending so many hours traversing over land...
Screenshot-2018-10-11-at-6-03-54-PM.png

Calm here right now, biggest gust so far........ 26 mph
and the death band is weakening it would appear, not complaining just sayin
There are still some ripping winds just off the surface. That line just east of warrenton may be a problem for you

There are still some ripping winds just off the surface. That line just east of warrenton may be a problem for you

Yeah I see that, it does have me a tad concerned..... I'd actually like to keep my power on. Picked up 1.8 so far too, first rains since Florence

Back