• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jarring January

Jan 16-18 looks very interesting on the 12z CMC. A couple baby steps away from a nice winter event for many. But strangely enough it looks like a lot of our near misses the past 10 days. Wave diving out of Canada getting squashed by a strong HP on its heals. I still see some potential

12z gfs has a winter storm for West Tennessee

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk
and here
gfs_6snow_slp_birmingham_20.png

Very skeptical of that with the low tracking directly overhead. Regardless there is plenty of time for changes . The models keep shifting the track all over the place from run to run . As it stands right now if I lived in Arkansas , West Tennessee and northwest Mississippi i would be optimistic.

Good thing is that we finally are getting a break from the cold, and only a short one. Looks like we are going to be above freezing until Saturday night, then we go back into the freezer.

Pivotalwx has a more realistic snow map vs the one above
d5e50acd6ceffb1c1573e09b61cf6a41.jpg

Good thing is that we finally are getting a break from the cold, and only a short one. Looks like we are going to be above freezing until Saturday night, then we go back into the freezer.
But how long do we stay in the freezer ? I would be surprised to see such an extended period of cold again.

But how long do we stay in the freezer ? I would be surprised to see such an extended period of cold again.
It almost looks like both patterns are going to be transient until some blocking sets up either in favor of Siberia or N America. We will have to see but for now I don't know which pattern will prevail. La Nina tells me it's the warm one, but the way things have been going says we will get cold again.

Gefs loves Tennessee this run
4d6f6bc1622d19cebafe4100c3b94f41.jpg

Count me in as one that is "A-Okay" with an approximate 0.5 to 1 inch ensemble mean for my location at this point. Needs some work though.

It almost looks like both patterns are going to be transient until some blocking sets up either in favor of Siberia or N America. We will have to see but for now I don't know which pattern will prevail. La Nina tells me it's the warm one, but the way things have been going says we will get cold again.

warm up till weekend, turn cold 4 or maybe 5 days, warm up 1 more time briefly, then cold comes in and camps out for a longer duration.
AO will lock in negative late Jan into most of Feb.

I don't know exactly the words I'm looking for, but I think what's going on is until the Atlantic takes over, we won't see an 11/12 like pattern which was warm (I think it was also a Nina). And while it was a while ago, the tweet that was talking about it said "don't expect the Atlantic to take over the pattern anytime soon as predicted".

warm up till weekend, turn cold 4 or maybe 5 days, warm up 1 more time briefly, then cold comes in and camps out for a longer duration.
AO will lock in negative late Jan into most of Feb.

NCSNOW,
Maybe I missed your reasoning, but on what basis are you saying "cold comes in and camps out for a longer duration" and that the "AO will lock in negative late Jan into most of Feb?" These are very strong statements. I respect other opinions but only if there is a basis.

I'm not trying to pick on you and I've liked you as a poster in general, but you've been repeating this kind of thing and I don't recall you backing it up with your own thoughts when I've asked you.

By the way, JB doesn't count as he almost always says cold Feb in the E US often after a Jan thaw. He is incredibly predictable and his saying cold Feb doesn't do anything to convince me even though he could always end up right like broken clocks do. Not only is he a winter weenie, but also he wants more clicks. In addition, I believe he is biased toward cold because he has energy clients and colder means higher heating fuel prices. Actually, if JB were to say "warm Feb.". I'd pay much more attention.

I'm sticking to my warm dominated 1/16-2/28 based on analogs that I've mentioned since the start of winter. So, my call remains at least 2 F warmer than normal for the SE averaged out as a whole, which would still likely be much colder than last winter's 1/16-2/28.

Last edited:
Euro is a major winter storm for Arkansas, northern Mississippi and Tennessee

Euro is a major winter storm for Arkansas, northern Mississippi and Tennessee

I'm getting excited about this to say the least! Looks like this could be the real deal finally for the Upper South.

Back