• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jarring January

I for one won't complain about a little break from the cold because of our situation with this no insulation cold ass house and propane bill. Buttttt.. I can guarantee when they start building our new house(anytime now) there will be weather to delay or cause problems. Anything and everything has caused delays and I expect no different when they actually start...

I for one won't complain about a little break from the cold because of our situation with this no insulation cold ass house and propane bill. Buttttt.. I can guarantee when they start building our new house(anytime now) there will be weather to delay or cause problems. Anything and everything has caused delays and I expect no different when they actually start...
Well Wild... I m guessing you are double checking the insulation specs for the new house... coldest winter I had was the year I stayed in a 1935 built country house...BRRRR

I'm hoping for a repeat of Feb. 2010 for us, that would definitely fill all of that grey in for SC at least, well actually from Dallas across the I-20 corridor.
I was in aiken then and got 9 inches. It was amazing. Came in during the day too. I wish.

I'm ok with the January thaw, as long as Fab Feb is a Feb 1899 redux! ;)
Not an impossibility

I'm ok with the January thaw, as long as Fab Feb is a Feb 1899 redux! ;)
Not an impossibility
No, not an impossibility:

Weather conditions in early February 1899 -

During the first week of February, very cold conditions gripped the western third of the United States. Temperatures fell as low as 33°F (1 °C) at Los Angeles California, 9°F ( -13°C) at Portland Oregon -9°F (-23 C) at Boise, Idaho, and 12ºF (-11ºC) at Seattle, Washington on the third and fourth. Meanwhile, much of the Middle Atlantic, South Atlantic and Gulf states were experiencing unseasonably mild conditions.Temperatures soared to 63°F (17ºC) at Richmond Virginia, and 72°F (22°C) at Raleigh, North Carolina on the fourth, and to 81°F (27°C) at Savannah, Georgia on the fifth.

But likely, Nah ...

So much banter. Could we take the casual talk into the actual Banter thread and keep this one for discussing future weather trends for January?

During the first week of February, very cold conditions gripped the western third of the United States. Temperatures fell as low as 33°F (1 °C) at Los Angeles California, 9°F ( -13°C) at Portland Oregon -9°F (-23 C) at Boise, Idaho, and 12ºF (-11ºC) at Seattle, Washington on the third and fourth. Meanwhile, much of the Middle Atlantic, South Atlantic and Gulf states were experiencing unseasonably mild conditions.Temperatures soared to 63°F (17ºC) at Richmond Virginia, and 72°F (22°C) at Raleigh, North Carolina on the fourth, and to 81°F (27°C) at Savannah, Georgia on the fifth.

But likely, Nah ...
Yeah, sounds like that was a very -PNA was present at the time, and likely the flip was drastic to a +PNA. Everyone wishes for an 1899 snowstorm of course, but I'm sure the next one will be in 20 years at least. I think we can get something still, it's just we have a warm period and a pattern that favors massive cutters. Even the NE is going to warm up. Maybe we can as mentioned before get some good rain to help the drought.

But likely, Nah ...
One of JBs latest FB posts says, when cold comes back, it'll start in the West and go East. I'm guessing like our Christmas/ New Years outbreak

Im enjoining the warmth today. I love my cold and winterstorms, but the warm air feels really for now. Im enjoying getting out doing things with family and taking care of my lemon trees. Ill be ready to reload by February with cold.

Hey, neighbor! I realize Gainesville didn't overperform vs forecasts radiationally last night like I thought it would. But looking at your DP of 16 being only 4 warmer than 24 hours ago and even after realizing the DP will rise again during evening into the 20s, could y'all overperform tonight? The current temperature is 11 warmer than 24 hours ago, but the RH is 17% vs 21% 24 hours ago and there may be as good if not even better radiational cooling conditions, if the cirrus stays away, due to the Arctic high then being even more directly overhead than this morning. (I'm watching 250 mb RHs. All levels lower than that look very dry though). The NWS is forecasting 32. I've decided to double down on last night's miss and predict 29 for tomorrow morning's low. Even if today's high reaches 63 or so, Gainesville can radiate down ~34 degrees with optimal radiation. I've seen it happen. They can radiate like nobody's business.
Larry,
Looks like you/we nailed it - was 28º shortly before daybreak!
Phil

Down to 20 last night! High of 60 today, 67 tomorrow! Still patches of snow here and there. Looks like normal to 10 above for the next 10-15 days, but I can handle that!

12z GFS says enjoy your warm up as it'll get cold again in the future. At this point for the month I think I finish at right about average, maybe slightly more at most, but even slightly more would be a far cry from last year (which was around +10).

Back