• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Observations January 3-6th. 2018 Winter Storm Observations

For the archive ...

Screen_Shot_2018-01-03_at_8.33.15_AM.png

Saw videos of snow comin down good in Hahira and my mom in Valdosta just text as I'm typing in big letters "I SEE SNOWFLAKES". Her car is completely iced over too. Omg all those pine trees. Yikes

Now down to 27.5 here with ZR continuing. Reports of much of the precip changing to sleet and snow, including heavy, not too far away from this area to the NW, W, and SW of this area. I still expect a change here within the next 1-2 hours.

Now down to 27.5 here with ZR continuing. Reports of much of the precip changing to sleet and snow, including heavy, not too far away from this area to the NW, W, and SW of this area. I still expect a change here within the next 1-2 hours.

Are you still freezing rain?

Are you still freezing rain?

Yes although a tiny bit of sleet has started to mix in. Hopefully the predominant ZR will end soon because the ice has built up to 1/8" on surfaces. When it gets to near 1/4" is when power outages typically start to increase.

The temperature has been jumping around recently but it momentarily got down to 27.1 a few minutes ago with ZR though it then rose back to 28.0.

Yes although a tiny bit of sleet has started to mix in. Hopefully the predominant ZR will end soon because the ice has built up to 1/8" on surfaces. When it gets to near 1/4" is when power outages typically start to increase.

The temperature has been jumping around recently but it momentarily got down to 27.1 a few minutes ago with ZR though it then rose back to 28.0.
Larry, thanks for the update from SAV. Hoping you get a changeover soon from the ZR. Your input over the years has been invaluable and truly appreciated. I hope you're able to share some nice snow pics before the end of the day! Keep us posted!

27.7 degrees in my backyard in northeast Richland County, SC. We just were put under a winter weather advisory. I'm 20 miles away from home, nervous as a cat because anything that falls will stick.

I'm starting to get concerned about potential power outages. The predominant ZR has picked up in intensity to moderate and is really starting to add up. Based on my measurements, we're already approaching 1/4" of ice buildup on flat surfaces. Interestingly, I warmed all of the way to 30 temporarily in the heavier ZR.

Edit: Now up to 30.7 here!

Edit: Now 31.3!

Back