• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Gert

Not quite sure what happened, but it looks like Gert won't even become a cat 2 now.
Might be making a recovery....almost see the eye on vis possibly

GOES14302017227ZFfxTC.jpg

Gert ingested dry air yesterday which has halted intensification overnight, however Gert will spend about 24-36 hours in an environment characterized by a robust equatorward outflow channel into the subtropical jet and into the entrance region of a 140 kt+ jet streak in the mid latitude jet which can often lead to rapid intensification due to the exceptional amount of forced ascent.
gfs_uv200_atl_5.png

Looks like the NHS is following the CI vs the T. Seeing that uptick should mean an upgrade at 2.

There's usually a lag between the CI and the T numbers, the appearance of a 20nm wide eye shrouded by a cirrus deck on satellite a few hours ago should have warranted at least a 5 KT increase in the winds in spite of satellite estimates not increasing until the last second, because there's no doubt its organization has improved in the past 6 hours since the 5 o clock advisory. Like I said, i call bs...

Quick question Eric. What do they use to analyze the tropical Cyclonic energy in which gert is going to contribute to the ACE index. Also, does NHC estimate on the winds speed have any affect on the validity of the data imputed for the index?

There's usually a lag between the CI and the T numbers, the appearance of a 20nm wide eye shrouded by a cirrus deck on satellite a few hours ago should have warranted at least a 5 KT increase in the winds in spite of satellite estimates not increasing until the last second, because there's no doubt its organization has improved in the past 6 hours since the 5 o clock advisory. Like I said, i call bs...
Should be a Cat 2 per the CI now. Definitely had a lag as you said.
08LP.GIF

Back