• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

Must be drunk on the strongest liquor our there!
gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_41.png

LMAO I just showed this to my dad and he said "There's no way that this is actually true. This is a mistake by the model".

(Which I decided to investigate and honestly it might have been. Temps don't really support it. I can see snow at 40 but 46? Naahhh (that's what I saw when I pulled a sounding) Then again I think I saw snow grains at 48 before in the past so perhaps this isn't that stupid.

January brings the all snow events their usually lighter totals and bring the powder snow. February seems to always have the big storms sometimes they can be a mix but their big. March no matter what it seems to always be big it may only come once every 5 years but it's the biggest storm in that 5 year span. That's what it always seems like at least for middle Georgia
I disagree with you on March, but generally our region's biggest storms from a historical perspective have always been in February. One has to look no further than 2010, 1973, 1914, 1899, 1980, and 1912 in order to realize that this is generally whenever the magic occurs at a greater frequency for areas within Middle Georgia. I'm pretty sure the last time that Middle Georgia recorded snow in March was from the March 1, 2009 and that was limited to a dusting from Macon south and very limited totals in other parts of the region.

LMAO I just showed this to my dad and he said "There's no way that this is actually true. This is a mistake by the model".

(Which I decided to investigate and honestly it might have been. Temps don't really support it. I can see snow at 40 but 46? Naahhh (that's what I saw when I pulled a sounding) Then again I think I saw snow grains at 48 before in the past so perhaps this isn't that stupid.
Ive seen it snow at 51

im sorry but after my water froze and busted my pipe and flooded my house last friday im done with cold. dont want no more this year
Sorry for that. It's no fun. I finally got to where I run the water, not drip, hours before sundown of a cold day. Got real tire of lying on my back in water fixing pipes. I'd rather pay for a heater load of hot water, because it's the hot water that freezes. Those tiny little pvc marvels, lol, but run enough water thru them and they won't freeze.

LMAO I just showed this to my dad and he said "There's no way that this is actually true. This is a mistake by the model"

It's not snow in south FL. If you notice it says "twelve hour average precipe rate". That verbatim is just a really strong cold front. So your original thought is correct.

This is pretty much the same thing that used to happen. The old thing was to post precipitation maps with the 0C line at 850mb south of the QPF field and call it snow. We would do a post every year about how the precip fell in the 6-12hrs previous of that image.

I see the Happy Hour got drunk off of it's delicious wines. ;)

Edit: If this run were to verify our guys like olhausen and others in that area are going to be happy. It's still a bit out there though.
I’m definitely optimistic that models are seeing good trends down the road. I won’t get to excited yet as we still have a ways to go but I’m definitely happy we aren’t seeing signs of a torch.

I disagree with you on March, but generally our region's biggest storms from a historical perspective have always been in February. One has to look no further than 2010, 1973, 1914, 1899, 1980, and 1912 in order to realize that this is generally whenever the magic occurs at a greater frequency for areas within Middle Georgia. I'm pretty sure the last time that Middle Georgia recorded snow in March was from the March 1, 2009 and that was limited to a dusting from Macon south and very limited totals in other parts of the region.
We had 4 inches up here in Jones County the most snow I've ever seen or at least can remember

It's not snow in south FL. If you notice it says "twelve hour average precipe rate". That verbatim is just a really strong cold front. So your original thought is correct.

This is pretty much the same thing that used to happen. The old thing was to post precipitation maps with the 0C line at 850mb south of the QPF field and call it snow. We would do a post every year about how the precip fell in the 6-12hrs previous of that image.
Good reason, one of many, not to take maps verbatim ...

Back