• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Freezing Ferocious February

The lows forecast for this upcoming long warm spell in CHA are just incredible for Feb. Can't see how we don't finish in the top ten warmest Febs since records kept. ;)

Haha what a crazy storm... Several inches at Central Park where I went i come south 17 blocks!!! near Times Square and almost zero evidence of accumulation shocking
trees lock in the cold... haha (no idea what I'm saying..)

iqdjdt.jpg

2ed1umg

20180217_210405.jpg

Surprised to see a good chunk of the SE start to flip above normal for met winter. Will be curious to see how much of the east flips to positive anomalies over next 12 days.

View attachment 4069

Yeah, a large portion of the SE will flip to warmer than normal over these final 11 days of met. winter. Form example, KATL:

Dec was +1.5, Jan was -2.9, and Feb is projected to be +9.6. So, DJF would end up +2.7.

The persistence of this warmth is just incredible. It may not get below 50 at night in Atlanta the next 2 weeks. Even here, after this morning there are no more freezes in the forecast the next 2 weeks according to weather.com

The persistence of this warmth is just incredible. It may not get below 50 at night in Atlanta the next 2 weeks. Even here, after this morning there are no more freezes in the forecast the next 2 weeks according to weather.com
Well a thought/question... If we remember the Late Dec thru Jan mostly stayed cold... so with the overall patterns, is this the "normal" for weak years? I cannot remember one that once it got cold..it stayed cold, and looking like the same with warmth

Good to see you got some snow Brent. It’s not as fun as in your own backyard but it’s still always nice to see snow. In February of 2009 my wife and I took a weekend trip to Cleveland Ohio to see snow since it was a dud season here. It was really cool seeing the Great Lakes and the giant ice blocks. The lake wasn’t frozen over due to a warmer winter so after the initial snow moved through we got to experience lake effect snow the next day. It was crazy how some areas had only a few inches of snow while a few miles away had 8-10 inches of it.

Things are still very much on track for KATL to have its warmest Feb on record beating the current warmest of 2017, which is 56.1. Now the question is whether or not they can beat the warmest Dec on record, which is 2016's 57.6 and would mean the warmest month of met winter on record. I don't at all think that's out of the realm of reasonable possibilities. We're also looking at the very real possibility of the warming from 1/18 to 2/18 being the strongest on record for any Jan to Feb. We may hate the warmth, but at least we get to track history. Exciting times from a strictly wx history standpoint keeping it from being too boring!

Last edited:
Back