Misc All Things Religious

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
Matthew 16:15-17

[15] He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” [16] Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” [17] And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.”

It sure sounds like Jesus confirmed He was the Messiah here.

I am having trouble understanding why you think he was a great teacher when you continually say you can't trust what was written about him, which is the only basis we would have be able to formulate an opinion about what he taught. It's a head-scratcher for me.
Geez man if you don't want to answer just say it. You are hung up on frickin words for some reason. He was a teacher not a Messiah, just my opinion. Does that make it clearer?

Matthew 16:15-17

[15] He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” [16] Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” [17] And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.”

It sure sounds like Jesus confirmed He was the Messiah here.
Well if it's in the great book it has to be true right? Can't have it any other way. Jesus didn't actually write this so maybe he said it maybe he didn't. That's normally how stories get shaped over decades. True then just as it is now

Sandbar; this exact question has been discussed multiple times in this thread by multiple people with some very good, insightful, and fair posts. Some have even had good articles and videos included that gave a lot more input than we can give here. I have given thoughts on this before as well but I will give a quick version of my take.

I hope others don't just think what I think. I am a fallen human with many errors and flaws and I am not the moral arbiter of the universe, nor do I have the power to decide if anyone goes to Heaven or Hell. What is in my human heart is greed, lust, envy, pride, ungratefulness, and countless other detestable traits. I am unworthy of Heaven simply because of these traits. Would other people want someone like me in Heaven? I doubt it; not with those traits. Now I like to think I also have some wonderful traits as well but unfortunately my bad ones stain my good ones and overpower them. If there is indeed a Heaven, I am only getting there by someone giving me forgiveness and reconciliation that I cannot earn and do not deserve. I think the evidence is very good that such a being exists and that there is a way for me to accept that forgiveness but I do have to be willing to accept my flaws and try to follow the one who has given that path. We all have choices to make; we can choose to believe what we want and follow who or what we want; that is free will. But God wants us to love Him and that must be freely given as well. If we choose that we do not want to be with God then He will not force us to be with Him and he will allow us to be seperated from Him; even forever. That is what Hell is; permenant separation from Him and all of his attributes.
I appreciate you being honest with what's inside you? It's time for Christians to stop acting like they are special. Like they have some special bond with god. I'm not going to hell for being spiritual and not answering to a book. Nobody is going to hell for not being baptized or confessing anything. So many Christians believe this and it's disturbing to me. So what do you think God is? If you are going to love something that much and feel judged by it, what is God to you? A person you are going to stand in front of?

Geez man if you don't want to answer just say it. You are hung up on frickin words for some reason. He was a teacher not a Messiah, just my opinion. Does that make it clearer?
What does the word “Messiah” mean to you?

Last edited:
So switching gears do you guys believe the universe contains billions of galaxies with who knows how many stars and planets? Do you believe biblical god created all of that but just focused life on one planet with a special group of people, his chosen people? Why create all of that extra fluff? Much of it is so old it probably doesn't exist anymore. Doesn't make a lot of sense that their wouldn't be life all over the universe

I'm sorry believe what you want, but hell is very real and Jesus spoke of it more than anyone else in the Bible. He also said "I am the way, the Truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me." There is but one way.

‭John 3:16-18 NIV‬
[16] For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. [18] Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

Believe in Him and you will not perish, it's pretty clear. Also, He was not sent to condemn but to save those who were already condemned.

I understand of course this requires belief and faith, debating it is insightful and has a role for sure. But at the end of the day all the evidence can point one in a specific direction but it comes down to their heart and their willingness to accept it. Some will never believe no matter the evidence and some have that beautiful child like faith that God desires for us and believe without hesitation. Oh if we all had that child like faith. God is real, heaven and hell are real and I only want what God desires: that all would be saved. I have this desire not out fear but for love of all.

The same as unicorn. A symbol. When I served with Chris Kyle in 2006 I used to call him a unicorn because he was rare and some of the shots he made were unheard of. He wasn't actually a unicorn........
I was asking because we tend to assume that people understand the meaning of words and the background of the word. But, that isn’t always the case. They may have an impression of what the word is in reference to. So, I thought I would ask what you understood that word to mean.

I think the word has somewhat entered the common vernacular, but people don’t really know what the word literally means or what its background is.

I assume you do at least know that the word “Christ” is simply the Greek translation of the Hebrew word “Messiah.” But, that might have been assuming too much.

Both mean “anointed” or “anointed one.” A background study from the Old Testament is needed to know the background and import of the word.

Last edited:
I'm sorry believe what you want, but hell is very real and Jesus spoke of it more than anyone else in the Bible. He also said "I am the way, the Truth and the life. No one comes to the father except through me." There is but one way.

‭John 3:16-18 NIV‬
[16] For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. [17] For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. [18] Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

Believe in Him and you will not perish, it's pretty clear. Also, He was not sent to condemn but to save those who were already condemned.

I understand of course this requires belief and faith, debating it is insightful and has a role for sure. But at the end of the day all the evidence can point one in a specific direction but it comes down to their heart and their willingness to accept it. Some will never believe no matter the evidence and some have that beautiful child like faith that God desires for us and believe without hesitation. Oh if we all had that child like faith. God is real, heaven and hell are real and I only want what God desires: that all would be saved. I have this desire not out fear but for love of all.
Have you ever been to hell? Know anybody that has? Until you can answer yes to either of those you are just guessing out of nothing but fear. You can sit here and tell me it isn't all about fear until the cows come home but buddy I know better. If god is about unconditional love why would he torment you with even a chance of going to hell? if he told you to go to the highest mountain and stick a knife in your firstborn would you do it to prove that faith? That is just childish nonsense man but I know you believe it with all of your heart. It's funny you mention children. They believe in Santa Clause, the easter bunny and the tooth fairy too when they are kids. The disconnect between myself and the rest of you is just that book bro. It's the one thing that you cling to because it's the only thing that makes you different from everyone else. Same goes for Jews, Muslims and Catholics. This is exactly why you all argue amongst yourselves to the point you are willing to frickin kill over it. You HAVE TO WIN. YOU HAVE TO BE RIGHT. If we all loved unconditionally we would all believe the same thing. Because we don't means it's all BS to me

I was asking because we tend to assume that people under the meaning of words and the background of the word. So, I thought I would ask what you understood that word to mean.

I think the word has somewhat entered the common vernacular, but people don’t really know what the word literally means or what its background is.

I assume you do at least know that the word “Christ” is simply the Greek translation of the Hebrew word “Messiah.” But, that might have been assuming too much.

Both mean “anointed.”
Yeah and I can anoint anything or anybody at any time. That doesn't change a thing in reality. Jews don't believe he was a messiah and Jesus was a Jew. Why are they wrong? Because the bible says so?.....lol

Yeah and I can anoint anything or anybody at any time. That doesn't change a thing in reality. Jews don't believe he was a messiah and Jesus was a Jew. Why are they wrong? Because the bible says so?.....lol
What does the word “anoint” mean? Do you know what that is in reference to and what is meant by it when words such as “Christ” or “Messiah” are used in the Bible?

And, when you say “a messiah”… do you know the background of people waiting for “the” Messiah in the Biblical context?

Have you ever been to hell? Know anybody that has? Until you can answer yes to either of those you are just guessing out of nothing but fear. You can sit here and tell me it isn't all about fear until the cows come home but buddy I know better. If god is about unconditional love why would he torment you with even a chance of going to hell? if he told you to go to the highest mountain and stick a knife in your firstborn would you do it to prove that faith? That is just childish nonsense man but I know you believe it with all of your heart. It's funny you mention children. They believe in Santa Clause, the easter bunny and the tooth fairy too when they are kids. The disconnect between myself and the rest of you is just that book bro. It's the one thing that you cling to because it's the only thing that makes you different from everyone else. Same goes for Jews, Muslims and Catholics. This is exactly why you all argue amongst yourselves to the point you are willing to frickin kill over it. You HAVE TO WIN. YOU HAVE TO BE RIGHT. If we all loved unconditionally we would all believe the same thing. Because we don't means it's all BS to me
Well Abraham was until God intervened.... anyway I'm not here to debate this with you. I was just proclaiming my Faith and recognizing God's sacrificial love. All I can do is give a witness and pray about it, God didn't call me to be successful but to be faithful. I hope I can do just that.

What does the word “anoint” mean? Do you know what that is in reference to and what is meant by it when words such as “Christ” or “Messiah” are used in the Bible?

And, when you say “a messiah”… do you know the background of people waiting for “the” Messiah in the Biblical context?
Jesus wasn't a messiah in my opinion. I don't care what it means or what anoint means. The word messiah seems to be a pretty big deal to you but it means nothing to me at all. I'm not going to spend 8 hours arguing over a word. This is the type of thing that leads to "I am done with this conversation". You can anoint anything and anybody to be a messiah

Well Abraham was until God intervened.... anyway I'm not here to debate this with you. I was just proclaiming my Faith and recognizing God's sacrificial love. All I can do is give a witness and pray about it, God didn't call me to be successful but to be faithful. I hope I can do just that.
And why would Abraham even think about doing such a thing in the first place? Because god asked him too and then said my bad when Abraham was about to do it? He was going to stick a knife in his own son he waited so long for because he though god would bring him back. Is there anybody on this earth that would even consider that today?

Jesus wasn't a messiah in my opinion. I don't care what it means or what anoint means. The word messiah seems to be a pretty big deal to you but it means nothing to me at all. I'm not going to spend 8 hours arguing over a word. This is the type of thing that leads to "I am done with this conversation". You can anoint anything and anybody to be a messiah
Of course, it's a big deal to me. As as "Christ-ian," (follower of the Messiah), it should be, and you should expect nothing less from those of us who believe Jesus of Nazareth was the Messiah, the Christ.

Another topic.....If you found out that we were not alone in the universe how would that affect your faith and what you believe?
It would be neither here nor there. If God created other beings elsewhere on other planets, all good. No concerns about that one way or the other. Until such life is found, that's all speculation anyway.

It would be neither here nor there. If God created other beings elsewhere on other planets, all good. No concerns about that one way or the other. Until such life is found, that's all speculation anyway.
At least you are remaining open minded about it because I think you are going to face it at some point

Reactions: Shaggy