Misc All Things Religious

• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!
It would be neither here nor there. If God created other beings elsewhere on other planets, all good. No concerns about that one way or the other. Until such life is found, that's all speculation anyway.
So how old is the earth? What is your explanation for our far distance humanoid habitants on the planet like neanderthal? Did the biblical god create them as well and just improved upon his chosen people with us? Also curious as to why you think we all look different? I ask because all religions seem to have an "created in his image" portion of their dogma and god(s) and/or their holy teacher or messiah always looks like the culture involved

So how old is the earth? What is your explanation for our far distance humanoid habitants on the planet like neanderthal? Did the biblical god create them as well and just improved upon his chosen people with us? Also curious as to why you think we all look different? I ask because all religions seem to have an "created in his image" portion of their dogma and god(s) and/or their holy teacher or messiah always looks like the culture involved
You have to understand that there are varying perspectives about this. There are "New Earth" versus "Old Earth" creationist perspectives. And, I suspect not even everyone here would all be on the same page with that. God was under no obligation to explain the finer details and give an exhaustive, comprehensive explanation of how He did it or everything that is "out there" in our modern, scientific 21st Century terms to people who lived thousands of years ago in Ancient Near-Eastern cultures. He revealed to them (and to us) only what they needed to know, apparently.

My position is- I do not really "know" how old the earth is. I know what modern science suggests about it. And, I also know the language and style of describing creation in the Hebrew scriptures. What's more- it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other how old the earth is. If God created everything more recently but somehow "snapshotted" it with a primordial history that science picks up on- fine. If the universe is in reality as old as what scientific theories propose, but God expressed it in terms the ancient Hebrews could understand without explaining every nuance in our modern Western scientific terminology, also fine. I recently read a book entitled, The Lost World of Genesis One, by John Walton. Interesting read on that topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bham 99
You have to understand that there are varying perspectives about this. There are "New Earth" versus "Old Earth" creationist perspectives. And, I suspect not even everyone here would all be on the same page with that. God was under no obligation to explain the finer details and give an exhaustive, comprehensive explanation of how He did it or everything that is "out there" in our modern, scientific 21st Century terms to people who lived thousands of years ago in Ancient Near-Eastern cultures. He revealed to them (and to us) only what they needed to know, apparently.

My position is- I do not really "know" how old the earth is. I know what modern science suggests about it. And, I also know the language and style of describing creation in the Hebrew scriptures. What's more- it doesn't really matter to me one way or the other how old the earth is. If God created everything more recently but somehow "snapshotted" it with a primordial history that science picks up on- fine. If the universe is in reality as old as what scientific theories propose, but God expressed it in terms the ancient Hebrews could understand without explaining every nuance in our modern Western scientific terminology, also fine. I recently read a book entitled, The Lost World of Genesis One, by John Walton. Interesting read on that topic.
I dont think there is any question the earth is billions of years old. I also don't think there is any question that cavemen existed as we have found them. I would think that if the god in the bible created it all that means he created dinosaurs too along with cavemen but why wait until a few thousand years ago to pop up and say "Here I am chosen ones"

Why do some people wait until they're in their late 30s to have kids? Why not have them at 16 instead of waiting until 38 to pop up and say "Here I am little baby"

Why do some people wait until they're in their late 30s to have kids? Why not have them at 16 instead of waiting until 38 to pop up and say "Here I am little baby"
I guess that proves parents don't exist.

The word Elohim (god) occurs 2,500 times in the hebrew bible. It somehow became both plural and singular out of thin air according to whomever is doing the interpretation. This is just one example that gives me pause with something translated mostly by word of mouth

The word elohim or 'elohiym (ʼĕlôhîym) is a grammatically plural noun for "gods" or "deities" or various other words in Biblical Hebrew. In Hebrew, the ending -im normally indicates a masculine plural

If you do further research you will also find Yahwhe (also god) listed along with about another dozen names for god which makes it even more confusing to people trying to develop a loving relationship with him. I have pointed out of course that he comes across as a hateful dictator who despises humans more than loving them in the old testament. This is probably who Jesus came to free his followers from. It's actually easy to see if you take a step back and open your mind to other possibilities

The word Elohim (god) occurs 2,500 times in the hebrew bible. It somehow became both plural and singular out of thin air according to whomever is doing the interpretation. This is just one example that gives me pause with something translated mostly by word of mouth

The word elohim or 'elohiym (ʼĕlôhîym) is a grammatically plural noun for "gods" or "deities" or various other words in Biblical Hebrew. In Hebrew, the ending -im normally indicates a masculine plural

If you do further research you will also find Yahwhe (also god) listed along with about another dozen names for god which makes it even more confusing to people trying to develop a loving relationship with him. I have pointed out of course that he comes across as a hateful dictator who despises humans more than loving them in the old testament. This is probably who Jesus came to free his followers from. It's actually easy to see if you take a step back and open your mind to other possibilities

The Hebrew language works much differently from English and you can’t simply say because Elohim is plural it should be translated as “gods”. The verbs or adjectives attached to Elohim in passages that refer to God are singular. In the Hebrew language it is the verbs or adjectives that define if a word should be translated as singular or plural. Here’s an excerpt from a Hebrew scholar (Paul J. Kissling, Genesis, Volume 1, p. 83) addressing this very question in Genesis 1.

“The word for "God" here and throughout Genesis 1:1-2:4 is the Hebrew word אֱלֹהִים (ʾĕlōhîm). This is not a personal name like Yahweh, but the generic Hebrew word for God. Although the form appears to be plural (masculine nouns in Hebrew normally form their plurals by adding im) it is usually used with a singular verb or adjective (as throughout this chapter). The plural is probably a plural of majesty or intensification. ... Often in the history of Christian interpretation of the noun ʾĕlōhîm there has been an attempt by those not thoroughly conversant with Hebrew to argue that the plural form of this word implies a plurality in the godhead. ... Unfortunately the grammatical form of a word in Hebrew does not necessarily tell us anything about whether the word should be understood in English as a singular or a plural.”

Last edited:

While the term "elohim" can be either singular or plural, the verbs that go with it in context are either singular or plural. If elohim is paired with a singular verb, then it is in reference to the God as a singular entity. If the verb is plural, it's more properly "gods" or "heavenly beings." Elohim can be in reference not only to God or gods, but also angelic beings in the heavenly realm or the heavenly host. This all depends on context. Christian Scholars such as Dr. Michael Heiser have done a lot of work in this area. He wrote a book on this entitled The Unseen Realm. It deals with the "divine council" or the court of YHWH in the heavenly realm, which includes angelic beings or "sons of God." But, others have done studies on this at length. This is an involved topic. YHWH is the divine name of God Most High (the "I AM").

Last edited:
While the term "elohim" can be either singular or plural, the verbs that go with it in context are either singular or plural. If elohim is paired with a singular verb, then it is in reference to the God as a singular entity. If the verb is plural, it's more properly "gods" or "heavenly beings." Elohim can be in reference not only to God or gods, but also angelic beings in the heavenly realm or the heavenly host. This all depends on context. Christian Scholars such as Dr. Michael Heiser have done a lot of work in this area. He wrote a book on this entitled The Unseen Realm. It deals with the "divine council" or the court of YHWH in the heavenly realm, which includes angelic beings or "sons of God." But, others have done studies on this at length. This is an involved topic. YHWH is the divine name of God Most High (the "I AM").
The Bible is all over the place with this leaving the interpretation to the reader. The fact that so many scholars are at odds points to inconsistencies which shouldn't be in a text considered by it's followers as holy. I wouldn't expect the one and only God to have a dozen names but that tends to happen when singular gets confused with plural during a long translation from Hebrew to Greek to English

It is literally you argument. It's not childish. It's just lacking rationality.
Maybe it would be easier to make me understand why God created dinosaurs, wiped them out, created caveman, wiped them out, created more humans and wiped them out while settling on his chosen people before disappearing from our life with a promise of coming back to send half of us to hell.....all because he loves us

None of us can force you to believe it. By the same token, you should not expect people of faith to be talked out of it by mere human reasoning.
Would never dream of asking you to. Like I said I've been on your path for 40 years I just saw the light and it changed me spiritually. I hate that it pains people to hear someone believes in a creator but doesn't subscribe to dogma. I never understood it until I was on this side of it

Would never dream of asking you to. Like I said I've been on your path for 40 years I just saw the light and it changed me spiritually. I hate that it pains people to hear someone believes in a creator but doesn't subscribe to dogma. I never understood it until I was on this side of it
I’m not sure that you’ve picked up on it really- but, there’s a lot to Christian thought that is not bound by denominational dogma today. Many of us are on a journey to get deeper in touch with the original worldview of the Bible.

Some of us may not exactly fit your box of assumptions or experience in life, regardless of your 40 years, 80, 100 years, whatever.

I’m not sure that you’ve picked up on it really- but, there’s a lot to Christian thought that is not bound by denominational dogma today. Many of us are on a journey to get deeper in touch with the original worldview of the Bible.

Some of us may not exactly fit your box of assumptions or experience in life, regardless of your 40 years, 80, 100 years, whatever.
Some denominations are dead no wonder some people think what they do.

Maybe it would be easier to make me understand why God created dinosaurs, wiped them out, created caveman, wiped them out, created more humans and wiped them out while settling on his chosen people before disappearing from our life with a promise of coming back to send half of us to hell.....all because he loves us
You could walk outside, along with everyone in your neighborhood, and see Jesus coming out of the clouds with angels all around and trumpets blowing with your own eyes, and you would attribute it to something silly like mass hallucination or a dream or some other thing. There's nothing anyone can tell you to empirically prove the Bible. You have already made up your mind. That's fine. It's completely your choice. There's nothing anyone can say here that's going to change that. You are free to believe what you want to believe. I mean that with all sincerity and respect. But if you're going to use irrational ideas on which to base your belief, it's fair game to point it out, just like you like to point out that Christians take everything on "faith" all the time.

You could walk outside, along with everyone in your neighborhood, and see Jesus coming out of the clouds with angels all around and trumpets blowing with your own eyes, and you would attribute it to something silly like mass hallucination or a dream or some other thing. There's nothing anyone can tell you to empirically prove the Bible. You have already made up your mind. That's fine. It's completely your choice. There's nothing anyone can say here that's going to change that. You are free to believe what you want to believe. I mean that with all sincerity and respect. But if you're going to use irrational ideas on which to base your belief, it's fair game to point it out, just like you like to point out that Christians take everything on "faith" all the time.
Anything outside of your safe box of labels is irrational to you. That's why you are brainwashed bro. Bought and paid for when you could be roaming free my man.....

Still the same book. If it's the word of God should only be one denomination for that one God. Instead you have no telling how many bible versions to go with umpteen denominations.
Yeah but there's some denominations that don't preach the whole book. The part of the book about the power given to you as a Christian to overcome things is not mentioned in some denominations. Some denominations just pat you on the head and welcome you to the social club but no inner change ever occurs. Some denominations just give you a list of do's and don'ts and threaten to kick you out if you don't participate. None of that equals what Christ did for us.