• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical 2019 Atlantic Hurricane Season & Model Discussion

From Accuweather
bahama-3-pm.jpeg

From Accuweather
bahama-3-pm.jpeg

This is the entity that would have the best chance to cool some of the Gulf a couple of degrees, especially if it were to lead to several days of clouds/rain. But I'm not counting on much from it and it could easily warm right back up the following week, regardless, especially considering the deep Gulf warmth as well as hot air temps that would likely return. So, not much hope for sig cooling of the Gulf the next 2 weeks.

Shower activity associated with a surface trough interacting with
an upper-level low near the north coast of Hispaniola northeastward
over the southwestern Atlantic has increased a little since
yesterday. Little, if any, development of this disturbance is
expected during the next few days while it moves west-northwestward
across the Bahamas and the Florida peninsula. However, environmental
conditions could become a little more conducive for development
when the system moves into the Gulf of Mexico over the weekend.
Regardless of development, this disturbance will produce periods
of locally heavy rainfall across the Bahamas through Thursday, and
across Florida on Friday and continuing into the weekend.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...near 0 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent.

Yep, this needs to continue to be closely monitored. It could end up being the most significant tropical feature of anything on the map currently for all we know, especially because it will be traversing very warm waters and will not be recurving. Conditions in the atmosphere will become at least marginally favorable for TC genesis.

The 6Z Euro ensemble is tied for the most active of at least the last 4 EPS with 9 of the 51 members with an actual TC. If Weathernerds had the 6Z, they would likely be showing even more than the 15 or so surface lows that they show for the 0Z.

In terms of actual TCs, the 9 on the 6Z compares to 3 on the 0Z, 9 on the last 18Z, and 3 on the last 12Z. Also, there remain 2 pretty distinct camps of tracks with one moving more slowly NW/NNW/N into the E coast of FL and further north without necessarily ever going into the Gulf, similar to the 6Z ICON, while the other camp moves more quickly WNW and then NW with hits in the AL/MS/LA corridor. This second camp would have more potential to eventually become a stronger storm as it would cross about the warmest SSTs in the entire Atlantic basin.

The 6Z Euro ensemble is tied for the most active of at least the last 4 EPS with 9 of the 51 members with an actual TC. If Weathernerds had the 6Z, they would likely be showing even more than the 15 or so surface lows that they show for the 0Z.

In terms of actual TCs, the 9 on the 6Z compares to 3 on the 0Z, 9 on the last 18Z, and 3 on the last 12Z. Also, there remain 2 pretty distinct camps of tracks with one moving more slowly NW/NNW/N into the E coast of FL and further north without necessarily ever going into the Gulf while the other camp moves more quickly WNW and then NW with hits in the AL/MS/LA corridor. This second camp would have more potential to eventually become a stronger storm as it would cross about the warmest SSTs in the entire Atlantic basin.
Sounds like the same conversation over a week ago.

Convection from that is looking pretty healthy. I would just like some rain from it, hopefully it doesn't evolve into more of a surprise.

Is this going to steer into TX/MX, or curve up into gulf states, as currently modeled!?

For the 1st time this early in at least 4 runs, the 12Z GFS has a closed sfc low (at hour 90 near the FL Keys).

Is this going to steer into TX/MX, or curve up into gulf states, as currently modeled!?

1. It goes into AL/MS at hour 132 as possibly a TD.

2. 2Z UKMET:
NEW TROPICAL CYCLONE FORECAST TO DEVELOP AFTER 126 HOURS
FORECAST POSITION AT T+126 : 27.3N 91.7W
LEAD CENTRAL MAXIMUM WIND
VERIFYING TIME TIME POSITION PRESSURE (MB) SPEED (KNOTS)
-------------- ---- -------- ------------- -------------
0000UTC 16.09.2019 132 27.4N 92.5W 1007 30
1200UTC 16.09.2019 144 28.1N 93.3W 1005 28

Keep watching this one, folks!

2. 2Z UKMET:

12Z CMC is also a bit stronger with a sfc low in the E central GOM moving NW at hour 96.

Bad news, the 12z GFS has a storm near the SE at day 10. (a little bit of)Good news, it then shows it recurving away. But still too far out. At this point we have to still focus on will there even be a storm.

Edit: LOL, it doesn't recurve the storm. It just parks it off the coast (out to day 11). Way out in never land but I guess all options are on the board.

Attachments

• aaaa.jpg
    aaaa.jpg
    349.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

2. 2Z UKMET:

Please.......

Pretty please with a cherry on top?

12z Icon brings it up to SC and let's it spin there on the ridge.....

View attachment 23341

Yeah, but this is a clear outlier among the major operationals (I don't count the very low skilled NAM for the tropics). It is splitting off the energy (note that there is a very weak low in the NW GOM even on this map you showed) and concentrating more of it offshore the SE coast, which never really makes landfall. The 6Z and some runs from yesterday were similar. As I recall, the ICON didn't do so well out 5 days or so with Dorian since it had him hit FL on a number of runs when he was in the Bahamas and it has no proven good record for the tropics unlike the Euro. That being said, some EPS members have been doing something similar. So, I'm not fully discounting that idea yet though I consider that ICON type of scenario only a low possiblity right now....perhaps 20%.

Yeah, but this is a clear outlier among the major operationals (I don't count the very low skilled NAM for the tropics). It is splitting off the energy (note that there is a very weak low in the NW GOM even on this map you showed) and concentrating more of it offshore the SE coast, which never really makes landfall. The 6Z and some runs from yesterday were similar. As I recall, the ICON didn't do so well out 5 days or so with Dorian since it had him hit FL on a number of runs when he was in the Bahamas and it has no proven good record for the tropics unlike the Euro. That being said, some EPS members have been doing something similar. So, I'm not fully discounting that idea yet though I consider that ICON type of scenario only a low possiblity right now....perhaps 20%.
Im with ya....just reporting what I see. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. Never know. Lol

Shower and thunderstorm activity associated with a surface trough
near the southeastern Bahamas and adjacent Atlantic waters has
increased since yesterday. Limited development of this disturbance
is expected during the next couple of days while it moves
west-northwestward across the Bahamas. However, environmental
conditions could become a little more conducive for development when
the system moves over the Florida Straits and the Gulf of Mexico
late this week and this weekend. Regardless of development, this
disturbance will produce periods of locally heavy rainfall across
the Bahamas through Thursday, and across Florida on Friday and
continuing into the weekend.
* Formation chance through 48 hours...low...10 percent.
* Formation chance through 5 days...low...30 percent.

Im with ya....just reporting what I see. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally. Never know. Lol

12Z EPS: Still a bit of a split with where the surface low forms (just E of FL vs S of FL/GOM). Interestingly, the strongest member is way west in TX just E of Galveston!

Back