• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Storm Call maps

1642181948498.png
1642181976157.png
May do a final call map again tomorrow based on new data and seeing how we are progressing with the system. Mountains are going to get hammered. Especially along the escarpment where we will get extra lift. Front end bump of snow is looking more and more likely for areas along and west of I77 initially. Biggest winners in the upstate will be the northern upstate along and north of 85 (Inman, Landrum, Chesnee, TR, Pickens, Salem) where it looks to get a quick 2-5"+ (potentially more towards the border) in the initial band with maybe 1-3" on the backside. Further west you are the higher that number will be as that is mostly ULL driven. Areas just south of 85 look good for the front and back end snow as well but a bit more sleet/ICE mixes here. Areas south of there are dealing with a lot more ICE and sleet like Anderson, Union, Charlotte. Major ICE storm over the central/southern upstate, along and north of I20 towards south charlotte and the metro area. I am not sold on any backend snow for areas along and east of 77 right now if the ULL travels more over the Western Carolinas.

View attachment 105485
View attachment 105486
May do a final call map again tomorrow based on new data and seeing how we are progressing with the system. Mountains are going to get hammered. Especially along the escarpment where we will get extra lift. Front end bump of snow is looking more and more likely for areas along and west of I77 initially. Biggest winners in the upstate will be the northern upstate along and north of 85 (Inman, Landrum, Chesnee, TR, Pickens, Salem) where it looks to get a quick 2-5"+ (potentially more towards the border) in the initial band with maybe 1-3" on the backside. Further west you are the higher that number will be as that is mostly ULL driven. Areas just south of 85 look good for the front and back end snow as well but a bit more sleet/ICE mixes here. Areas south of there are dealing with a lot more ICE and sleet like Anderson, Union, Charlotte. Major ICE storm over the central/southern upstate, along and north of I20 towards south charlotte and the metro area. I am not sold on any backend snow for areas along and east of 77 right now if the ULL travels more over the Western Carolinas.
Appreciate the 12-18” pop ??

pumped

Busy map and very typical with these types of systems. I thought about making a map then realized how much a pain in the butt it would have been. I'll ride your map and others! Good job.
no doubt....I always forget how busy these maps are. They get very messy for sure, but my OCD doesn't allow for me to not try and make it as clean as possible..lol Thank you!

Here’s my attempt at a map for Atlanta. Didn’t have time to do one for all of Georgia and the Southeast. This is based on the fact that I believe the wedge will come in a couple degrees colder than previously forecasted for most of the Atlanta metro area.

For the snow, most of the higher totals on the north side are based on the scenario where we get the changeover to all snow early in the morning for a couple hours. If that ends up not happening, then I would expect a widespread 1” with the backside stuff everywhere north of 20 and that’s it.

I think the freezing rain becomes a bigger story. 12z HRRR lays out the blueprint for how this becomes much more than a nuisance event. This map could easily bust high.

Goes with out saying but I’m in no way a certified meteorologist. Just a guy with a passion who’s been following this for a week with the rest of you. Good luck everyone!!6C92881A-F0E1-43D7-904B-3040F127C072.jpeg258BC827-55FA-4060-B19D-D52C1D03BCFB.jpeg

1642282906603.png
1642282926741.png
Final Call Map. I feel very confident that we're going to see a strong initial thump of snow in the upstate and probably finish with a decent thump as well. The track of the ULL and what seems like it is taking a much further southernly track at the moment is giving me growing confidence that a lot of places along and west of 77 may see an additional 1-2". Gradients will be tight with the mountains getting several inches but some sleet and ZR look to be mixing in more and more so that's something to watch. The northern upstate really has a good shot of getting 2-5" in that initial hit before we switch over to sleet and ZR in the mid morning before switching back over around late lunch time. Greenville, Spartanburg, Gaffney look like 2-4" all together is a real possibility. Below that is an Inch. The growing ice concern looks to have positioned itself in the central and southern upstate through the south metro of Charlotte where I expect a major ice storm to take place.

Back