• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Winter Grade

I voted A!!! Course I'm in coastal Maine and have gotten probably around 15-20 inches so far and possibly more tonight and this weekend. Now back where I use to live in GA, I would rate it it a D. I know it got super cold around Christmas but not enough snow at all! I hope everyone else gets some last minute snow!

C.

F. For snowfall or lack thereof

A. For temps- if it ain’t gonna snow, give me a torchy look.

C. For precip - too rainy at times.

Averages out to a C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

The arctic cold snap during Christmas was impressive for what it was, certainly the coldest Christmas I ever experienced and we did get a dusting of snow the day after Christmas and some snow showers in mid January. Still pathetic overall, but I fared better than a lot of folks on this board did even with the little bit of snow we did get.

It would have been a F if not for the above events happening. It was close to 2011-12 bad.

Despite the having a Christmas Eve high of on 27 and being one of the few locations east of the mountains to at least see some flakes, this has to be an F. It will be record-breaking as this will be the first time that KCLT didn’t record at least a trace of snowfall.

Snow: F
Cold: C
Overall: D-

We had a small 0.5" snow event. We didn't even see snow fall other than that. We had one spectacular cold snap, and that was it.
But it can be worse.

Just to look at 2011-12, which most consider to be the most recent terrible winter, this Dec was colder, Jan/Feb was warmer.

GSP Dec 2011 avg was 48.4. 11 days with highs 60 plus. Only 8 mornings 32 or below with a low of 27. Only 2 days with a high below 50. No trace of snow.

Dec 2022 avg was 42.6. Only 3 days with a high of 60 plus including one day over 70. Still just 13 mornings at or below 32 but as low as 7. 13 days with a high below 50 and only a trace of snow.

At GSP, Jan 2012 averaged 45.7. There were 11 days with highs 60 or above and no 70s. There were 9 mornings 32 or below with a low or 19. 8 days with high below 50. No trace of snow

Jan 2023: Avg 47.7. 11 days above 60 with one day over 70. 9 days at or below freezing with a low of 21. Only 3 days with a high below 50. Overall just warmer highs and lows. No trace of snow.

GSP Feb 2012 averaged 47.3. 12 days with highs above 60 and 4 at 70 or above. Only 8 nights below freezing with a low of 20. 5 days with a high below 50. No tace of snow.

Feb 2023 avg 53.1, the 4th warmest ever! 19 days with a high above 60 and an incredible 8 days above 70 with 2 79s. Only 5 mornings at 32 or below with a low of 25. Only 4 days with a high below 50, all above 45. No trace of snow.

So the December difference was really just one cold week with a trace and the rest of the winter was warmer with Feb being ridiculous. 2011-12 was a total F- and to me this winter was even worse; one week just doesn't make up for the rest. F- - if that's possible. Maybe March will help but it may be too little too late.

Cold: F
Snow: F-
Overall F- -

I went with D for two reasons and stayed away from F:

1. Legit rare cold snap around Christmas

2. Found snow twice this winter. One being a 10 incher up at Beech.

I was able to scratch my itch
C- Up here. I mean, yeah, somehow I’m at 100% of normal snowfall, but the fact the biggest snow was at temp of 34 degrees, and the fact the 2-3 rains in January and February, just shouldn’t even happen! I reserve the right to raise this grade at the end of April! ⛄

F. Only real snow is when the wind chill was -20

Still way below climo. February peak season not a flake

C- Up here. I mean, yeah, somehow I’m at 100% of normal snowfall, but the fact the biggest snow was at temp of 34 degrees, and the fact the 2-3 rains in January and February, just shouldn’t even happen! I reserve the right to raise this grade at the end of April! ⛄
F+ material here! ?313F116C-41CA-4FD2-A662-086422736368.png

C- for western middle TN. 1" of snow ahead of Christmas; however, it was so cold, it was hardly enjoyable. Certainly a memorable experience which must be accounted for in a blowtorch winter. We also saw a trio of minor icing events back-to-back-to-back that produced a staggered half inch of ice during the 1/31/23-2/2/23 time frame. I'll give December a B+ and January/February a D to mean out the C- grade. 2011-12 was still worse IMO. 2016-17 and 2018-19 are fair decent grade comps for this area.

Back