• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Winter Final Grade

F for ATL/SAV

KATL DJF temps were +4.5 with not even a trace of snow!

How often since 1890-1 has KATL not had even a trace through Feb? Not very often at all (I also listed the DJF temp anomaly)

1924-5: no snow Oct-Apr; +2 (so not that warm)
1931-2: no snow Oct-Feb but 0.5" in Mar; +7 torch
1936-7: a T in Nov and then none afterward; +3
1949-50: no snow Oct-Feb but a T in Mar; +6 torch
2018-9: no snow Oct-Feb; Mar+ unknown; +4.5 semi-torch (and 2nd warmest El Nino next to 2015-6)

So, there have been 4 other winters with not even a trace in met winter though it had been since way back in 1949-50 for the last one. Now, let's see what happens in Mar-Apr. Only 1924-5 had no snow Oct-Apr.

Last edited:
For the state of NC: D, temps were well above average, snowfall was virtually normal, obviously this grade will vary depending on the backyard but this is probably the average grade of NC backyards this year w/ Fs galore SE of Raleigh & C or C minuses northwest of there where the big storm in Dec struck

tenor.gif

And that's about it. You know what else F describes about this winter?
Flooding. That's all the last few months were anyway. Oh and hitting 78 in February.

I spoke my peace last night (F), but .gifs are still worth a thousand words to describe this winter.

When most of us thought a frigid January/February was coming and what really happened...
giphy.gif

Starting threads for storms that barely or never materialized....
giphy.gif

When we keep falling for the bait by going all in on a storm and Mother Nature claps back.
giphy.gif

At least this winter had one good thing going for it, plenty of laughs to numb the pain.

C- For me. I got 5 inches IMBY in December so I can't fail it. But December was supposed to be the warmest month! Back loaded winter lol.

But wow January and February sucked. The eager expectation of everything being on our side this year, only to fail so dramatically makes this year very memorable and educational for me. Any long range forecasting is really just guessing. Most accurate forecasting will be the following for our winters:

1. Healthy dose of west Atlantic ridging. It's never not going to be there.
2. Never a real -NAO block. It's just not going to happen.
3. Good possible snowy periods are with a -EPO and +PNA. This set up will vary throughout the winter. When we don't have it, it's a shut out, when we do, we'll likely fluke out with something.

F not even a dusting in Chattanooga Tn.. This is the battleground area for winter and we can't get snow at 250% above avg. What happens when we go back to normal winters? What is normal anymore???

Gonna go with B for MBY, had 5-6" of snow in the December storm and light sleet a couple other times. The December snow was some of the largest flakes I've seen falling, possibly ever, due to how wet the snow was before changing over. It lasted like that for several hours so even though it wasn't great it was a very memorable event for me and the reason for my B rating.

As far as living up to expectations I had? I'd give it a F because I was expecting a BN winter, especially Jan-Feb along with more winter weather threats.

D if everything stays as is. I did manage to get 1.53 inches of snow and .10 inches of ZR. It also snowed in November but February has been trash and I ended up 6 degrees above my mean avg for the month.

Back