• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Who Would Like Permanent Political Thread ?

EV/WS

2024 Supporter
2017-2023 Supporter
Reaction score
As SD says... You have a conscious effort to visit the thread. If partaking then respect said outlined as described. I’ve seen some say... Get rid of it. I completely understand that. With all due respect..... Don’t read nor reply. For goodness sake it’s that simple. Please, don’t let a handful ruin it for the rest of us. It’s Simple..... Respect Each Other.
HELL...... We are all in this together as Americans and people on this Earth. Make It Count !

As SD says... You have a conscious effort to visit the thread. If partaking then respect said outlined as described. I’ve seen some say... Get rid of it. I completely understand that. With all due respect..... Don’t read nor reply. For goodness sake it’s that simple. Please, don’t let a handful ruin it for the rest of us. It’s Simple..... Respect Each Other.
HELL...... We are all in this together as Americans and people on this Earth. Make It Count !
I feel the same way. If people don't want to read it or know they are going to get triggered over it, then they don't have to enter the thread or can block the posters that really bother them. Of course, we should be respectful of other people too. No name calling, or sweeping generalizations... there's no reason we can't be respectful even with such a controversial topic, and those that aren't should face a timeout/ban. I don't post in there, but like Bham 99 said, I enjoy seeing other people's views.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3 separate political threads. One for Democrats. One for Republicans. One for Libertarians. 3 separate echo chambers. We all have different world views and for that reason arguing politics is pointless because nobody is wrong.

Yeah bummed it’s locked. Easy to say but I don’t get why the offending posters can’t be banned instead of tossing the whole thread.

Yeah bummed it’s locked. Easy to say but I don’t get why the offending posters can’t be banned instead of tossing the whole thread.
I'll agree with you 100%, it's easy to say.... just banning offending posters is far more complicated then it sounds. Politics becomes emotional for individuals, it really stirs some deep convictions and as soon as you ban someone, even though it is entirely because of how they treated others or they were just inciting reactions, etc, it almost always is perceived as admins/mods being biased. Trust me we have some difficult behind the scenes conversations about how to handle those situations and the political thread in general.

Honestly the discussion on the forum is much better and friendlier overall without the political thread. It isn’t needed imo and is detrimental to this site as being a weather board overall.

While I agree you don't have to post nor reply to a thread, I really never understood why there is/was a political thread on a weather forum. Although, I guess the same can be said with all the other non-weather threads. Maybe there can be a separate section for non weather posts?!?!?

While I agree you don't have to post nor reply to a thread, I really never understood why there is/was a political thread on a weather forum. Although, I guess the same can be said with all the other non-weather threads. Maybe there can be a separate section for non weather posts?!?!?

this x1000.

I come here for one thing. Weather. I understand others Are different and I am fine with non-weather threads but if we could clearly section that stuff from the weather stuff it would be nice.

It also stinks the weather side of the board is so slow while the political and Covid threads are rocking. I understand it’s a slow summer but for a while it was like 3 posters posting in the weather threads for a few weeks. I know this will probably change if we get some interesting weather lol I tend to go dormant for a few of the summer months myself.

Also I can say the amount of posting in the weather threads has gone down a lot with the introduction of the political thread. I joined this website specifically for weather discussion and the political thread has caused emotions to run high and spill into other threads and how people interact AND has reduced the weather discussion. If the political thread is a permanent thing here then I’ll be done posting here as well.

this x1000.

I come here for one thing. Weather. I understand others Are different and I am fine with non-weather threads but if we could clearly section that stuff from the weather stuff it would be nice.

It also stinks the weather side of the board is so slow while the political and Covid threads are rocking. I understand it’s a slow summer but for a while it was like 3 posters posting in the weather threads for a few weeks. I know this will probably change if we get some interesting weather lol I tend to go dormant for a few of the summer months myself.
The second part of your post is describing a problem that's part of most weather forums. People don't generally get too excited about day after day of partly cloudy or sunny skies and hot. Not much to discuss, really. Get a good severe weather setup or hurricane, and business will pick up.

As far as the political thread, corona, etc., we want to be a community. And we are, really. We ought to be able to discuss real life issues that affect us and have conversations about topics of interest. That's beneficial to all of us. But we ought to also be able to do it in a way that acknowledges the fact that we're interacting with other humans and realize that we all are never going to agree on everything. But everyone has value as a person, and we should respect that, if nothing else.

Also I can say the amount of posting in the weather threads has gone down a lot with the introduction of the political thread. I joined this website specifically for weather discussion and the political thread has caused emotions to run high and spill into other threads and how people interact AND has reduced the weather discussion. If the political thread is a permanent thing here then I’ll be done posting here as well.

Valid points. I'll say this however, don't know if y'all have noticed but a lot of political comments show up in those threads and if not out right political they have a political slant. I guess the idea was create other threads, so those comments wouldn't clutter weather threads (the very reason for banter threads). As far as traffic going down in the weather threads, could it possibly be it's also one of the slowest times of the year weather wise anyway? I mean let's rid the site of all non-weather threads and I dare say this place during this time of the year would look like a ghost town.

I don't think there is a way for me to do a hard stop where you can't see the non weather threads or anything like that I will continue to look.

We might be able to do a user group where you would have to request access to a political forum or something idk.

Valid points. I'll say this however, don't know if y'all have noticed but a lot of political comments show up in those threads and if not out right political they have a political slant. I guess the idea was create other threads, so those comments wouldn't clutter weather threads (the very reason for banter threads). As far as traffic going down in the weather threads, could it possibly be it's also one of the slowest times of the year weather wise anyway? I mean let's rid the site of all non-weather threads and I dare say this place during this time of the year would look like a ghost town.

What I mean is sure this is a slow time of year but when you have just a few posters posting in the weather thread while the political thread is rolling that’s an issue. As soon as the political thread has been locked I’ve noticed an uptick in posting activity in the weather thread, even during slow times of the year.

I joined this forum for the community it offered and focus on weather. I’m fine with off topic stuff and banter but the political thread doesn’t bring anything positive to the table and it causes other threads to see less activity imo. I’ve reached the point where I’m about done with things so if the political thread continues to be a thing then that will be it for me here.

What I mean is sure this is a slow time of year but when you have just a few posters posting in the weather thread while the political thread is rolling that’s an issue. As soon as the political thread has been locked I’ve noticed an uptick in posting activity in the weather thread, even during slow times of the year.

I joined this forum for the community it offered and focus on weather. I’m fine with off topic stuff and banter but the political thread doesn’t bring anything positive to the table and it causes other threads to see less activity imo. I’ve reached the point where I’m about done with things so if the political thread continues to be a thing then that will be it for me here.
Why would your interest in discussing weather go away if there is a political thread active? Even if posting declines slightly in the summer when the political thread is open, this is still the best forum for weather discussion....unless you want to talk mid-Atlantic garbage or New England weather.

I certainly hate to hear that and that you feel that way. It's not that we want to lose any member, trust me, but there seems to be a desire for additional threads. As RC pointed out this is a community and we should be able to discuss things cordially, when it doesn't go that way, it gets handled as best as possible. Don't think there is an easy answer, just don't visit the thread, block those you don't agree with but hopefully leaving is a last resort.

Truth. I usually stop caring about weather after Feb. I am not a storm chaser, sever or tropical. In most normal years my attention would have long since been drawn to the up coming football season. Since that ain't happening (in all likelihood) my A D D has force me back to the non weather covid and political thread mainly just lurking. So if nothing else I guess these threads keep me entertained.

Back