• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Misc Weirdo Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

I used to watch this guy all the time when he was still with Whiskeytown. They’re (he’s) from Jacksonville, NC. He’s kind of a weirdo and an asshole to boot, but he makes damn good music.

For fans of first wave post-punk bands, like the Fall, The Incredible String Band were extremely influential in their strange-ass approach to folk music. Can see many vocal influences on Mark E. Smith for sure:

The yummy, creamy, BF... first listened to them in high school 1986 ish.. Really my first deep dive into hardcore and punk. I was into bands like Rush, Led Zep, REM, The Cars, but when I got ahold of SST label bands, it changed my brain forever:

Last edited:
Another SST records outfit.. this band should be more well known. They had some damn fine songs.. Really one of those 80s bands that bridged REM sensibility with Black Flag, Misfits, etc hardcore balance. Another good band, more well known, that would be a decent comparison is The Replacements:

One of my worst mistakes in my early 20s was trading this vinyl LP for a stupid Jane's Addiction poster(yes, I love JA but SWANS to Jane's Addiction is like comparing Beethoven to The Beatles):

Another incredible powerful track from Holy Money:

"I'll crawl all over myself and stand in your shadow
I'll crawl all over myself and stand in your arms
I'll lie to myself, I'll lie to myself "

Yep, goons, you'll never hold us down.. god how you try, from actual hardcore police crackdown to spurious financial/political swindles:

Last edited:
Daughters are seminal.. but I will be the last guy to try to pin them to a particular genre.. just know, they're intensely important, especially how they evolved over time. The Anti-REM, The Anti-Stooges, etc:

I’ve always been a huge Slipknot fan and this cover of “Snuff” by an older man from England is hauntingly amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back