• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Tornado vs Hurricane Wind

Arcc

2024 Supporter
Reaction score
I figured this would be a good discussion.

Watching Josh's video, and seeing the aftermath, it puts to bed one thing Ive always questioned in my mind. A Upper end hurricane wind wise cannot match upper end tornado damage, and the gap is pretty wide.

Hurricane Dorian was just about as strong as they get with perfect conditions regarding maximum wind speed getting to the ground. Strengthening hurricane along with about as low land friction as you can have. While yes, the building code is high in the Bahamas, I was kind of underwelmed by the vehicle damage and the tree damage. Not saying it wasnt extreme for a hurricane, but I honestly expected more from the 200+mph gusts.

Whether its the upword motion or the EF scale is indeed much too low on windspeed estimates. This effectively kills Spann's arguement that straight line wind and tornado wind does the same damage.

I figured this would be a good discussion.

Watching Josh's video, and seeing the aftermath, it puts to bed one thing Ive always questioned in my mind. A Upper end hurricane wind wise cannot match upper end tornado damage, and the gap is pretty wide.

Hurricane Dorian was just about as strong as they get with perfect conditions regarding maximum wind speed getting to the ground. Strengthening hurricane along with about as low land friction as you can have. While yes, the building code is high in the Bahamas, I was kind of underwelmed by the vehicle damage and the tree damage. Not saying it wasnt extreme for a hurricane, but I honestly expected more from the 200+mph gusts.

Whether its the upword motion or the EF scale is indeed much too low on windspeed estimates. This effectively kills Spann's arguement that straight line wind and tornado wind does the same damage.
Were there really 200+ mph gusts there? I know they said there were in the discussions, but I wonder if that was really the case?

You can at least predict hurricanes, Tornados on the other hand come for the most part as a surprise. That’s why they can be much more dangerous because people can be caught off guard.

Plus the tornadoes can have multiple vortices sometimes and make even more isolated pockets of extreme damage!

FWIW ... look at strong H damage ... trees snapped; look at T damage ... trees twisted and snapped ... the difference is the degree and proximity of micro-rotation ... but neither winds are welcomed ... o_O

tornado has stronger rotation and spin vs a large hurricane that pivots it’s winds around the eye.plus I think tornadoes can move faster and be more abrupt with damages vs a hurricane that sort of builds up the tolerance slowly...

The duration of hurricane winds is obviously much longer. A longer duration of somewhat weaker winds can cause more damage than a shorter duration of somewhat stronger winds.

Considering the damage seen from EF-4 and/or 5 tor there has to be more going on then just 200 mph wind. I mean 200 mph wind is 200 mph wind, it's like getting hit with a ton of bricks or a ton of feathers.... a ton is a ton. So I'm thinking the quick hitting of the tor, the fact that a spot gets hit with those winds in 2 directions basically (rotating storm, winds from e then w as example as it moves across), probably some insane lift inside the tor also. I would think all that has to have an overall more damaging effect, maybe?

You'd have to think the vertical motion of the tornado would inherently lead to more extreme damage since you can generate lift and expose the object to the wind

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Debris be lifted high in a tornado vs a hurricane that doesn’t...

If you want a “know it all answer” ask Brad Panovich because he acts like he knows everything all the time.

Reactions: SD
Back