• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Sweatember '22

Many, many cities have been much hotter that ATL this summer, DC, NYC, Philly, Chicago, London, Seattle, Portland, etc, etc.

I've been to both Atlanta & Dallas many times.
Atlanta is hot but Dallas is much worse.
This summer proves as much Atlanta has never had a stretch the way u guys have this year.
Constantly 100 or more and night time lows in the 80's.
But i do believe the humidity is usually higher in Atlanta. More rain = more humidity.

But i do believe the humidity is usually higher in Atlanta. More rain = more humidity.

FWIW, the numbers were crunch for humidity a while back for many Sunbelt cities (I'll have to see if I can find it). Dallas on average was more humid than Atlanta as well.

That's in large part because of the difference in topograpghy.

EDIT: Found them!

Dallas:

June = 92*F / 67*F (Heat Index = 96*F)
July = 96*F / 68*F (Heat Index = 101*F)
August = 96*F / 67*F (Heat Index = 100*F)

Atlanta:

June = 86*F / 64*F (Heat Index = 87*F)
July = 88*F / 68*F (Heat Index = 92*F)
August = 88*F / 67*F (Heat Index = 91*F)

Last edited:
FWIW, thenumbers were crunch for humidity a while back for many Sunbelt cities (I'll have to see if I can find it). Dallas on average was more humid than Atlanta as well.

That's in large part because of the difference in topograpghy.

EDIT: Found the numbers!

Dallas:

June = 92*F / 67*F (Heat Index = 96*F)
July = 96*F / 68*F (Heat Index = 101*F)
August = 96*F / 67*F (Heat Index = 100*F)

Atlanta:

June = 86*F / 64*F (Heat Index = 87*F)
July = 88*F / 68*F (Heat Index = 92*F)
August = 88*F / 67*F (Heat Index = 91*F)
Your numbers only suggest a higher heat index not higher humidity . In fact they suggest the opposite , Atlanta is more humid . 88/68 is more saturated air than 96/68. Also these are avg daily dews not avg daily max dews . I’d be more interested in avg max dews as it would reveal the true max heat index avg.

Your numbers only suggest a higher heat index not higher humidity . In fact they suggest the opposite , Atlanta is more humid . 88/68 is more saturated air than 96/68. Also these are avg daily dews not avg daily max dews . I’d be more interested in avg max dews as it would reveal the true max heat index avg.

The max dewpoints tend to be at the diurnal minimum for the day. And even when it rains, that doesn't always raise the dewpoint to a new maximum if a thunderstorm's downdraft mixes down dry air from aloft.

So that information would be even less helpful for figuring the heat index average.

The max dewpoints tend to be at the diurnal minimum for the day. And even when it rains, that doesn't always raise the dewpoint to a new maximum if a thunderstorm's downdraft mixes down dry air from aloft.

So that information would be even less helpful for figuring the heat index average.
That isn’t the case here from my experience and doubt it would be different from here for Atlanta . Highest dew-points of the day during summer seem to happen just before diurnal maximum.

That isn’t the case here from my experience and doubt it would be different from here for Atlanta . Highest dew-points of the day during summer seem to happen just before diurnal maximum.

Based on what I've seen, the dewpoint will peak just after sunrise, around the 9-10am timeframe as surface moisture evaporates from the vegetation, then hold steady or mix out the rest of the day until sunset, where it begins to rise again during the overnight hours.

By diurnal minimum and maximum, I meant the part of the day with the hottest and coolest observed temperatures. The hottest temperatures generally aren't observed until 3-5pm.

That is true, but in my experience, the dewpoint temperature seems to play a bigger role in comfort level, as compared to the relative humidity, or saturation. Dewpoint of 55 is comfortable almost no matter the temperature.

Back