• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

wxdaniel

wxdaniel
Reaction score
So, Instead of asking everyone individually, I decided to create a thread for developers. Let me start of by saying this is for anyone. A little about myself, I am a college student and halfway completed my bachelors in software engineering with a minor in climate data analytics. I am creating this forum in hopes to find others in the similar field and asperations.

What I am currently doing is:
  1. Creating a JavaScript data visualization viewer
  2. Working with various software language like ie. Java, Python, JS and many libraries.
  3. I am using a API
  4. Creating my own maps using shapefiles for a universal grid.
  5. Only using my local server, eventually I would like to begin using AWS.
  6. Other methods of data distribution geoJson, jQuery, and possibly using a custom restful API.

What I hope to improve in the future is:
  1. I have began working on a custom algorithm that would reduce the virga output on radar.
  2. Create a custom algorithm that would reduce snowfall rates to a more climate average atmosphere.
  3. A better way of importing live data feed from gib2 files.

I hope at some point to upload the project to GitHub for other students or researchers to add.

Anything data related is welcomed. We all can learn something. I know one user said he was able to use PowerPoint to build animations. I would love to know how he got that to happen.

I wasn't too sure where to put this, but I developed a program that finds all snowfall events within a set of coordinates, then plots them using the ERA-5 database. Then, the data is matched to the 500 mbar data and plotted as well. With this, I was able to compare the climatology between Raleigh and Charlotte snowfall at the 500 mbar level.Charlotte.pngCharlotte.png
Raleigh.pngRaleigh.pngBothH5.png

Last edited:
I wasn't too sure where to put this, but I developed a program that finds all snowfall events within a set of coordinates, then plots them using the ERA-5 database. Then, the data is matched to the 500 mbar data and plotted as well. With this, I was able to compare the climatology between Raleigh and Charlotte snowfall at the 500 mbar level.View attachment 91959View attachment 91962
View attachment 91957View attachment 91958View attachment 91955

This shows hints of what I have thought for years. That a -nao is more important the further west you are in NC. Seems like often time Raleigh and points east get storms with relatively flat NAO patterns. But the mountains cash in big time during -NAO.

would love to compare these two with one for Greenville NC.

This shows hints of what I have thought for years. That a -nao is more important the further west you are in NC. Seems like often time Raleigh and points east get storms with relatively flat NAO patterns. But the mountains cash in big time during -NAO.

would love to compare these two with one for Greenville NC.
Your hypothesis seems to be right with Greenville NC.Greenville.pngGreenvilleH5.png

This past week I been looking at mapping.js library’s. I have been running into issues with county elements in the shapefiles. I really do not want to use leaflet, mapbox, or open maps. I am trying to create my own. NOAA uses the 1984 EPSG: 4269 sittings. Why? Is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't too sure where to put this, but I developed a program that finds all snowfall events within a set of coordinates, then plots them using the ERA-5 database. Then, the data is matched to the 500 mbar data and plotted as well. With this, I was able to compare the climatology between Raleigh and Charlotte snowfall at the 500 mbar level.View attachment 91959View attachment 91962
View attachment 91957View attachment 91958View attachment 91955

Ollie, your program works on what platform?

Ollie, your program works on what platform?

I do all mine with Python within the Jupyter notebook environment (Any will work). Most weather libraries and data are used for it.

As far as your mapping problem, you can do that stuff really with Python. I made a mapping ratio program that works really well.

I do all mine with Python within the Jupyter notebook environment (Any will work). Most weather libraries and data are used for it.

As far as your mapping problem, you can do that stuff really with Python. I made a mapping ratio program that works really well.

Ollie, I took Python data structures a couple of years ago and I am going to have to brush up on them. After looking at the source code, I don’t know if the map can support GeoJSON. I will look into it. If I can I may fork it and let you look at it and see what you think. I’m not to familiar with GET requests with Python.

So I created a test application for weather enthusiasts. I created a C# program using .NET Framework windows form and will soon release a beta version on Git. It’s called Planner Horizon. I created to cut forecast time in half or more to build nice five-seven day forecasts. I have implemented multiple events within the software to allow for more customization.

I am always looking for contributors via Git. Tell me what you guys think that should be added and if you can contribute any.

c2a25ccaadb34fe83be77631c4fc8a5f.jpg

This past week I been looking at mapping.js library’s. I have been running into issues with county elements in the shapefiles. I really do not want to use leaflet, mapbox, or open maps. I am trying to create my own. NOAA uses the 1984 EPSG: 4269 sittings. Why? Is beyond me.

You are going to have to re-project the counties to 4269, as most counties use state plane, but there are multiple sources with all the counties already merged together. The reason NOAA uses 4269 is because it's a requirement for ESRI and you can't have multiple projections exported to a Mapserver or Featureserver. You could use QGIS libraries to re-project or use Geopandas. If your looking for something to visualize it and cost effective, I would use geoserver. You would need a database architecture setup on PostgreSQL or similar platform for maximum effeiency.

You are going to have to re-project the counties to 4269, as most counties use state plane, but there are multiple sources with all the counties already merged together. The reason NOAA uses 4269 is because it's a requirement for ESRI and you can't have multiple projections exported to a Mapserver or Featureserver. You could use QGIS libraries to re-project or use Geopandas. If your looking for something to visualize it and cost effective, I would use geoserver. You would need a database architecture setup on PostgreSQL or similar platform for maximum effeiency.

Thanks, I know most like to use geopandas, and Python for this (which is fine) academia does not teach newer language. We are taught to stick with OPP. Though Python is extremely more easier to use than c# and Java. Going forward, I have to use those libraries.

Thanks, I know most like to use geopandas, and Python for this (which is fine) academia does not teach newer language. We are taught to stick with OPP. Though Python is extremely more easier to use than c# and Java. Going forward, I have to use those libraries.
I think that's cool. I've always wanted to make something like that. I'd like to use Unity to create a 3D mapping engine, but I only know Python, and a little C++ (I forgot most of it).

To build a application, you're gonna need to know javascript at least since Python's only a processing language. You could get away with a template with geosever and python running in the background.

Perhaps you guys could help me find a static map of local temperatures. Everyone is going to OpenStreetMap or google. Call me old school, I guess. Im working on a container for a website for local weather. I guess the local NWS office may have to do. I'm also trying out the new CSS grid from the update last year. It's okay.

1695272225634.png

Back