• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Severe Severe Threat 8/12-14, 2019

Completely missed the good stuff and got a tenth of an inch. Too bad I have to wait another several days for a good chance again at least.
Our best chances seem to be when it's 20%-30% like today. Pretty sure that was what I had yesterday and it was pouring in south Forsyth.

Storms incoming.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Raleigh NC
554 PM EDT Wed Aug 14 2019

NCZ008-025-026-041-142300-
Franklin NC-Durham NC-Wake NC-Granville NC-
554 PM EDT Wed Aug 14 2019

...A STRONG THUNDERSTORM WILL AFFECT SOUTHEASTERN GRANVILLE...
NORTHEASTERN WAKE...SOUTHEASTERN DURHAM AND WEST CENTRAL FRANKLIN
COUNTIES UNTIL 700 PM EDT...

At 554 PM EDT, Doppler radar was tracking a strong thunderstorm near
Creedmoor, moving east at 10 mph.

Wind gusts up to 50 mph will be possible with this storm.

Locations impacted include...
Raleigh, Wake Forest, Franklinton, Rolesville, Youngsville, Falls
Lake, Falls Lake State Rec Area, Falls Lake Boat Ramp, Purnell and
Rollingview Marina.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Seek shelter in a nearby building or vehicle. Wind gusts as high as
50 mph are capable of knocking down small or weakened trees and
blowing around trash cans, potted plants, lawn furniture and other
light outdoor objects.

Frequent cloud to ground lightning will also occur with this storm.
Lightning can strike 10 miles away from a thunderstorm. Seek a safe
shelter inside a building or vehicle.

Yeah it did the classic "split and then develop just south of you" trick. Maybe I'll see something but I'm not too hopeful.
Looks like some storms developed north of me. Did you get anything?

Edit: Getting lightning here now. Should be here soon.

Last edited:
Insane heat and humidity 95° (113°HX officially at KCHS) fueled violent thunderstorms this afternoon which produced significant lightning, wind, large hail and significant flooding in the area.
A daycare just up the road had to be evacuated due to flooding today along with Old Trolley Rd and Dorchester Rds completely shutdown due to flooding. Also many trees were brought down by wet microbursts.
Video below is mine ... Intense lightning heralds the start of a long afternoon. The microbursts begin after 12 minutes to about 15 minutes in...with peak winds in excess of 60mph.

Had another nice storm tonight. Nice to get one to cool things off.

Landspouting Yesterday, barely visible but there at the middle of the screen (white funnel) , it went poof in the matter of minutes, there was several boundaries around that probably helped SFC vorticity, and there was still solid 0-3km MLcape around 5B873689-6C88-4335-898D-C70289F81EF3.jpeg

Back