• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Reader's Corner

setxwx

politicians discussing climate change
Reaction score
Post your interesting reads... any genre, fiction and non-fiction.

Great idea, :), and please allow me to jump in ... :eek:

Here's one ... A Confederate General from Big Sur, Richard Brautigan (1964).
The novel is long out of print, but can be found in some public library somewhere, or maybe even two.
The book invites mental gymnastics. One can read it as a trashy novel for college frat sophomores, as a social commentary, as a dream, and in so many other ways. Like Brautigan's other (and more successful) writings, it has many onion layers to peel away, as one feels appropriate. ;) Will leave the story line for any interested humans ... :p Non-linear, and very hilarious, in any event ... :D

AConfederateGeneralFromBigSur.JPG

^
Gotta add to this, FWIW
Basically, I was given a 4 week old golden retriever who's dad was national field trial champion. Like I needed another dog but he was killing his mom's teats and he had to go. Anyway, 2 weeks after I got him, unnamed and wondering what to do with a golden in north Florida, I was walking with "it" in the woods near the house, and the son of a gun locked down on a point and low and behold, it was a covey of quail. They flushed; he turned and wagged. Long story short, made no sense at all for a moment, but "it" got a name then and there ... right from this novel. What "it" did was not from the cookie cutter. Out of 3 English pointers and 2 Brittany's, "General" became not only the best quail dog I ever owned or worked with (and that I used to train other dogs down the road), but also the best duck retriever I've ever seen. Goes to show what a good read might inspire ... in my case, a name and years of fun at the very least ...

Last edited:
currently reading yet another Michael Connelly 'Bosch' book... they're extremely addictive if you like police procedurals and psychological thrillers. The tv show based on the character is quite good as well.

Last edited:
I have begun this big boy... wish me luck: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6759.Infinite_Jest

41EHZhquMoL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Back