• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Previous storm discussion

9 years ago this month, one of the very best of the last decade for my area. In a rare case, TWC nailed this snow forecast compared to the NWS/local mets, they were the most bullish/aggressive calling for 4-8 inches. I got 6.5 inches. Hartsfield-Jackson Int'l Airport got 4 inches I think because of the constant mixing of sleet/freezing rain.

Piggybacking off of this post, I didn't have a decent enough camera to really take some great photos/videos of this storm so I did the next best thing. I recorded a lot of short local news clips and TWC clips during the peak/aftermath of the storm for archival/nostalgia purposes. For folks that watched TWC on a regular basis like I used to, this storm was happening during the time that former TWC alum Cheryl Lemke was working at our local NBC affiliate WXIA (11 Alive). I also included the last video because the orange crawl was displaying snowfall totals (officially reported from the NWS) across North Georgia as the storm was wrapping up.

Really ancient storms, but around this date in 1912 (a moderate NINO winter), the first in a pair of winter storms to produce a foot of snow in Lumberton, NC came calling. To put things into perspective, the snow climo of Lumberton, NC is nearly comparable to Columbia, SC!

In the century & change that's passed since this historic winter of 1911-12, Lumberton has only seen one 1+ foot snowstorm since (Mar 1980).

January 12-14 1912 NC Snowmap.png

February 10-12 1912 NC Snowmap.png

Someone mentioned it earlier in the other thread so it reminded me. The February 1994 Ice Storm truly was a major event. Obviously, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Arkansas probably had the most damaging ice accumulation, but this ended up being a major storm for the Carolina Piedmont and up into Virginia as well. I was 15 at the time and remember that the day before the storm started, the high in the CLT area was well into the 70s and then 24 hours later temperatures were in the 20s with heavy sleet and freezing rain.

If anyone has the snow maps from the Feb 1914 Georgia snow could you please add it to this thread? It’d been posted somewhere last year on here but I lost all my pictures on my phone in April.

It's kind of a shame we can't get a favorable pattern this year in late Feb-early Mar. Our snowfall climo drops off but the proportion of big dogs goes up substantially.

Sigh.

February 25-26 1914 NC Snowmap.png

February 24-25 1942 NC Snowmap.png
February 24-25 1968 NC Snowmap.png

February 25-26 2015 NC Snowmap.png

I know that this virus has been terrible news, but I have some things that I hope to keep all of you going. Over the past few weeks, I have been learning how to program with Python for weather-related purposes. Yesterday I was playing around with some source code and was able to modify it enough to plot snow maps from previous winter storms from the NOHRSC database.

The original source code was made by Tomer burg. He created most of the map, all I did was change the map view and style as well as the color pallet and other small features. I debated between making a thread or posting the maps in here and I decided to add the maps in here because of the lack of maps I have. I'm experimenting with some other maps and I could always make a thread when I'm ready.

I will post several maps in different individual posts. If there is a snow map that I didn't post please don't hesitate to PM me. These maps take very little time to load and it only involves changing a date. Note that the data only goes back to 2009.

Heres the First Map

Christmas day storm 2010
SE.pngNC.pngSC.pngGA.pngAL.png

Back