• This website or discussions about the COVID-19 virus outbreak should be taken as entertainment. For official information on how to plan and prepare, please go to The Offical CDC Homepage By Clicking Here
  • Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Previous storm discussion

Webberweather53

Meteorologist
Reaction score
It's kind of a shame we can't get a favorable pattern this year in late Feb-early Mar. Our snowfall climo drops off but the proportion of big dogs goes up substantially.

Sigh.

February 25-26 1914 NC Snowmap.png

February 24-25 1942 NC Snowmap.png
February 24-25 1968 NC Snowmap.png

February 25-26 2015 NC Snowmap.png

Sleet City USA

Still Learning
Reaction score

Ollie Williams

It Gon’ Rain
Reaction score
I know that this virus has been terrible news, but I have some things that I hope to keep all of you going. Over the past few weeks, I have been learning how to program with Python for weather-related purposes. Yesterday I was playing around with some source code and was able to modify it enough to plot snow maps from previous winter storms from the NOHRSC database.

The original source code was made by Tomer burg. He created most of the map, all I did was change the map view and style as well as the color pallet and other small features. I debated between making a thread or posting the maps in here and I decided to add the maps in here because of the lack of maps I have. I'm experimenting with some other maps and I could always make a thread when I'm ready.

I will post several maps in different individual posts. If there is a snow map that I didn't post please don't hesitate to PM me. These maps take very little time to load and it only involves changing a date. Note that the data only goes back to 2009.

Heres the First Map

Christmas day storm 2010
SE.png NC.png SC.png GA.png AL.png