• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Possible severe weather March 3-5

Saw a prelim EF3 rating from an unconfirmed outlet. In some since, this reminds me of a late night tornado that struck Raleigh, NC awhile back. One lone dominant supercell with a violent tornado.

That was the 11/28/88 F4 tornado. Hit around 1:00 am, and there wasn't any kind of watch beforehand. It destroyed a K-Mart that had people working inside stocking the store, but luckily no one there was killed. It did kill 4 people, but a miracle it didn't kill more considering the time it hit and there were not any watches out.

Were they under any kind of watch when the tornado hit?
A tornado watch went up about an hour and half before it hit. Under a slight risk but the tornado threat was believed to be relatively low for the day in the Nashville area. I looked at the hatch when the watch went up and it was a 5% chance of a tornado to hit for west Tennessee and only a 2% chance for the Nashville area. It goes to show though that it only takes one tornado to destroy lives no matter how small the threat. I’ve been through many moderate and a few high threat tornado days that resulted in nothing happening at all. It’s definitely a reminder to always stay alert and watch the radar during even the lower end threats. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those effected from last nights storms. Here’s the weather report from yesterday’s expected storms.

Attachments

• AD6CB8F6-6639-45CE-B612-607D47C7D67F.png
    AD6CB8F6-6639-45CE-B612-607D47C7D67F.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

SPC wasn't surprised...

I'd place my bet on a lot of people probably being surprised though in that area anyway. It was a late night tornado and while most probably pay attention to this while they're awake, they might not want to go to the extent of setting an alarm on their phone or have a weather radio for a possible emergency like this. Most have probably slept through many tornado watches before. It was just this fateful night that it wasn't just a tornado watch.

I have to say they were if you factor in the whole day. Yes they obviously saw that conditions were getting ripe for a tornado outbreak but this was only 2 hours before the tornado if that. I don’t believe anyone saw this coming at mid day yesterday or even around 5pm.

I have to say they were if you factor in the whole day. Yes they obviously saw that conditions were getting ripe for a tornado outbreak but this was only 2 hours before the tornado if that. I don’t believe anyone saw this coming at mid day yesterday or even around 5pm.

That doesn't change the general idea of my post, and why late night tornadoes are likely to always be very dangerous. Most probably aren't going to rig their phones to give off an alarm for a weather emergency like this or have a weather alarm. They're going to be sleeping and if they even wake up (unless they have friends/family to call them about the emergency), they are going to be caught with their pants down.

For those that are awake, this watch and probably warning (because I saw that there were long track warnings), is probably enough lead time, even if the SPC did have a lower risk originally.

Or maybe my close family is just crazy. With what I'm describing, yes, if a late night dangerous tornado were to hit, I'd probably be seriously injured or killed unless somebody were to call me to give an alert or I'm awakened by something. Actually, if any tornado were to come by that's higher than low end for the residence I'm at now, there's going to be problems at any time of the day because of the trees surrounding the house. The only choice for a hiding area because of that would be the hallway, and because my dad took the door out of the computer room due to my mom's disability, the hallway isn't totally closed in.

First tornado warned storm of the morning in MS southeast of Jackson
703575a2a8cbbc1340608efb23746f47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EF1 Tornado in Bibb County Alabama and an EF0 Tornado in Hale County Alabama were confirmed from Tuesday Mornings storms.

Back