• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Site News Official Site Feature & Suggestion Thread

Shawn

Administrator
Reaction score
Due to all of your generous donations, SouthernWX is in a position to start adding more features to our community.

Instead of just adding things and hoping you guys like it, we would like to hear any and all features you would like to have.

In less than a year we have added the following features based on your suggestions:
  • Blog
  • Wiki
  • Store
  • Member Map
  • Specific Tropical Weather Sites
We are looking to add more based on your feedback! Let us know in the comments below, and we will take all of your suggestions and tally up the most requested to least and go from there.

*note* - Model data, maps, text output are all on the table. Currently it's a large undertaking with both server space and bandwidth. We are weighing our options with this stuff.

Due to all of your generous donations, SouthernWX is in a position to start adding more features to our community.

Instead of just adding things and hoping you guys like it, we would like to hear any and all features you would like to have.

In less than a year we have added the following features based on your suggestions:
  • Blog
  • Wiki
  • Store
  • Member Map
  • Specific Tropical Weather Sites
We are looking to add more based on your feedback! Let us know in the comments below, and we will take all of your suggestions and tally up the most requested to least and go from there.

*note* - Model data, maps, text output are all on the table. Currently it's a large undertaking with both server space and bandwidth. We are weighing our options with this stuff.
We are also looking more into adding the graphics you see me post

We are looking for anything that you folks will find useful

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not sure if this is possible, but there is a lot of acronyms/theory in weather terminology. Would be nice, when the pro's use the acronyms, that they be highlighted automatically so when an average reader moves their mouse cursor over the highlighted acronym, an explanation window pops up without having to click and wait on anything.

Not sure if this is possible, but there is a lot of acronyms/theory in weather terminology. Would be nice, when the pro's use the acronyms, that they be highlighted automatically so when an average reader moves their mouse cursor over the highlighted acronym, an explanation window pops up without having to click and wait on anything.

I was thinking the same sort of thing, but link it or pull it from the wiki. You could have a drop down or search bar to link to the page in the message editor. For instance, you could use a hyperlink for correlation coefficient and search for the page in the message editor without having to find it on the wiki. It would be helpful to plug in more info into the wiki however. The workaround could be linking it to the NWS glossary, given there is more info there.

I know there is already the Southernwx show which is somewhat like this idea but ahead of certain weather events (snowstorms, tropical systems, severe outbreaks) within a certain timeframe we could have a google hangout session open for people to join to chat and talk about model updates, or possibly during these events as some sort of special observation hangout.

That would likely require a modification/plugin to the discussion software as a whole. I will see about the possibilities.

I know there is already the Southernwx show which is somewhat like this idea but ahead of certain weather events (snowstorms, tropical systems, severe outbreaks) within a certain timeframe we could have a google hangout session open for people to join to chat and talk about model updates, or possibly during these events as some sort of special observation hangout.
This is not a bad idea. I will look into possibilities of that or even how to integrate a chat/video type system on here.

We can do that through hangouts. I really like the obs idea

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Maybe a "page" where broadcast/live streams could be linked IMO would be could for severe events in progress. as they are more "fast moving"...
Also, would really like to really encourage members to have a geographic location put in (at least the state) It would have helped with Irmas "impact" posts

Also, would really like to really encourage members to have a geographic location put in (at least the state) It would have helped with Irmas "impact" posts
We have a member map function already. For those who aren't there, go ahead and put a location marker near where you live, such as a town center to let us know where you are at. And yes, everyone should put some form of location, down to the region of the state at most broad.

The knowledgeable ones. We can leave the trolls there. ;)
Yes, would be great to have some more mets from there over here, and a few posters like Rain Cold should come here more. I've noticed it doesn't seem as active there, and some folks that used to be regulars don't post much now. Would be great if they came here, too. This place is really growing, and things like the live shows are very cool.

Maybe I'm the minority, but I don't think we need a separate board for the tropics. I think it's easier keeping all weather stuff on one board instead of going back and forth.

Moving forums/merging is a daunting process. So many things can go wrong. With that said, I will look into merging (after extensive backups) the Tropical forum possibly into the main weather discussion area after this season.

Also for those of you who make threads, there will likely be a mandatory tag system where you have to pin it as Wintry, Model, General, Severe, etc. Doing it manually is getting out of hand, but we need the tags so visitors can find all the old historical stuff easily.

Back