• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern October Oscitance

My spiders have been going crazy, so the cold this winter should be real, lol. The last two times they went bonkers like this I saw lows near 0 during those winters. This time they are building regular webs, but tie them to tree limbs 60 feet in the air, and to the ground, and when you run into one of those runners it's like hitting a rope. I think they are trying to catch a hawk, or an owl. Throw in an Oct. hurricane coming right over me, followed by a cold snap, and I'm fixing to wax my sled already, lol....and I ordered a new winter coat.
I had the biggest yellow jacket nest I've ever seen under some tarps that covered my tiller in a shed. They stung me once, but I left them alone, since I couldn't get to them with the 50 spray. Several days later my dog got in there and they were all over her..didn't get thru her fur though, but that was the last straw. So I'm out there at night and tie a cord to the tarp and in doing so got them stirred up. Sounded like a jet engine revving up. Scared the willies out of me, but I persisted. Got the cord tied off, and backed off 50 feet and got behind a tree, and pulled. Heard them all the way were I was, but the angle was off. So in an act of bravery that was purely amazing, I came from behind the tree, crossed in front, and off to an angle and pulled again, all the time hearing that jet engine...then took off running, with all the demons of hell right behind me. I was running so fast , I came out of my pants, and they were down around my knees and there I was trying to run, butt fully exposed to the hoard of jet engines, holding up my shorts, with both hands, and my life flashing before my eyes. But I made it to the house and safety. Shaken but proud. They were gone the next day...but I know they are still out there..in buzzing in wait...ready to get me when I blunder onto their new nest. I'm so nervous now when I was walking across the yard yesterday and come upon a king snake all laid out across my path, I involuntarily jumped and hollered, confusing snakes and yellow jackets all up...just knowing I needed to jump and hollar. At least the snake didn't buzz at me...a sound burned into my mind, a gift from the minions of the devil! Winter can't get here soon enough. I've never been stung in winter, nor have I ever seen a snake in Jan. except when the cats dig in the leaves and bring them in and lay them next to my shoes for a morning surprise. Country living is fraught with dangers, lol. But I'm ready for the time when a hurricane drags 20 inches of precip into the freezing remains of a 1086 high :) Sledding off a sky scraper sounds like breaking the sound barrier kind of fun!

Corey...?

Come to daddy
985be7bdbede8514926567906cd73cc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, it flat poured here for 15 minutes. Just hard tropical rain. I think I'll see a bit over the two inches I saw on one map, if this is any indication. At last a half inch start. edit...and now a more gentle steady rain. But a good start..gusty now.

Last edited:
Spiders crazy here, building on the porch steps daily, had one on my truck! These are biguns to.
Rosie, how are you doing for rain this year? It seems like you get moisture starved a lot in winter. Things have turned back in the cycle here now and I'm in a rainy period...but then it doesn't quite get cold enough. Such a delicate balance. But where all the heavy precip was missing me for a decade, now I'm seeing decent rain again...spread out. I've piled up rain all summer without even getting an amount over 4 inches in a day. A few years ago I couldn't buy rain. A front would come thru just as the tap was squeezing off. Atl gets 9 inches, I get a dusting. A decent rain winter would give me at least one good chance for a sleet storm, and a ton of 33s and rain. The spiders are talking, lol.

Rosie, how are you doing for rain this year? It seems like you get moisture starved a lot in winter. Things have turned back in the cycle here now and I'm in a rainy period...but then it doesn't quite get cold enough. Such a delicate balance. But where all the heavy precip was missing me for a decade, now I'm seeing decent rain again...spread out. I've piled up rain all summer without even getting an amount over 4 inches in a day. A few years ago I couldn't buy rain. A front would come thru just as the tap was squeezing off. Atl gets 9 inches, I get a dusting. A decent rain winter would give me at least one good chance for a sleet storm, and a ton of 33s and rain. The spiders are talking, lol.
Tony,
You'll be sliding from Stone Mountain to south of Atlanta, using 285 all the way, sooner than you might imagine ... if your mama spider stays healthy and keeps spinning another 3 weeks ...
Phil

Pretty dry here now, maybe a little rain on the way. Cuts down on mowing!

Back