• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern NC Only Thread

I was always observant of radars showing nothing in the mountains but it still rains. (radar hard to pick up low level moisture?) But we just got smacked in Brevard with .50 however, on radar, it showed a "shower".

The wind shift is finally here too. DP are falling...finally. Can this god awful "summer" be FINALLY over?!
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-10-03 at 8.45.27 PM.png
    Screenshot 2026-10-03 at 8.45.27 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
At Calabash this weekend.. Not sure how much rain we got, but it wasn't enough to wet the pavement completely.

Jealous of everyone else saying it feels good. Still 75 here. (DP 74) That's actually not bad though unless I compare it to most everyone else. 🤣

There is barely a breeze here at the moment, which is strange being so close to the coast.
 
At Calabash this weekend.. Not sure how much rain we got, but it wasn't enough to wet the pavement completely.

Jealous of everyone else saying it feels good. Still 75 here. (DP 74) That's actually not bad though unless I compare it to most everyone else. 🤣

There is barely a breeze here at the moment, which is strange being so close to the coast.
Nevermind. Got some action here finally.
 
.07 for the event. There is a major malfunction with weather modeling in general - but forecasts are junk now. You cant keep saying, 'well, yeah but' over and over again. The credibility factor is in play - and I know these people know what the hell they are doing - but failed outputs over and over again is not acceptable. I will find a different hobby I suppose at some point - but tracking weather events seems like a waste of time now.


NWS GSP was forecasting between 1.5" and 3" up until Friday night - busted
Everyone else who threw a forecast out there - busted
 
Light drizzle to mist last night and part of the night, but not enough to get the ground wet under the trees here. Definitely haven't seen it this dry overall for almost a year now here.
 
Pine trees are known for beetles, not sure if that is the issue without looking at it closer but drought did not kill a tree that size. Various issues could be wrong with it but beetles are common.
As me and my dad drove around one day we were noticing all the trees. He mentioned lightning as a possible cause. I'm 51 years old and have never seen so many brown and dead trees. Not just pines mind you. I've seen other species as well. Lightning and beetles are always around and yet dying trees are never this noticeable.

This is maybe the worst multi year drought I've seen in my 51 years. Maybe 87 was I don't remember but the cape fear area is almost 30 inches behind over a 3 year period. That imo has to be a major contributing factor especially with dry sand soil.

EDIT 24 inches of this rain has come since early July so the drought was significantly worse just 2 months ago
Screenshot_20261004_084843_Gallery.jpg
 
Last edited:
Well we can track the future tropical system that will end up going to our west, they always do. Plenty of 80s on the models too, so much that cool pattern i guess. Ho hum warm and dry plugs along
 
Last edited:
As me and my dad drove around one day we were noticing all the trees. He mentioned lightning as a possible cause. I'm 51 years old and have never seen so many brown and dead trees. Not just pines mind you. I've seen other species as well. Lightning and beetles are always around and yet dying trees are never this noticeable.

This is maybe the worst multi year drought I've seen in my 51 years. Maybe 87 was I don't remember but the cape fear area is almost 30 inches behind over a 3 year period. That imo has to be a major contributing factor especially with dry sand soil.

EDIT 24 inches of this rain has come since early July so the drought was significantly worse just 2 months ago
View attachment 198428
Agree. It’s the drought. Makes trees more susceptible to pest and disease. “This shortage of water, Oten added, can “severely compromise trees,” weakening them and making them more susceptible to structural collapse, weather damage, pest infestations and diseases.”

 
As me and my dad drove around one day we were noticing all the trees. He mentioned lightning as a possible cause. I'm 51 years old and have never seen so many brown and dead trees. Not just pines mind you. I've seen other species as well. Lightning and beetles are always around and yet dying trees are never this noticeable.

This is maybe the worst multi year drought I've seen in my 51 years. Maybe 87 was I don't remember but the cape fear area is almost 30 inches behind over a 3 year period. That imo has to be a major contributing factor especially with dry sand soil.

EDIT 24 inches of this rain has come since early July so the drought was significantly worse just 2 months ago
View attachment 198428
yep I am 53 and have been in the Landscape industry now for 35 years. There are alot of reasons trees can die but generally you will see others around them struggling if drought related. Pines definitely have no root structure like hardwoods. Just saying beetles as well as other borers are rampent during hot and dry conditions. No matter what the cause is its definitely not good.
 
Back
Top