• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Learning about weather (soundings, H5, etc..)

So what do u look for if u want hail on these soundings and how do u know what type of hail or size it supports

Perfect hail sounding, note such large CAPE in the hail growth zone (-10c to -30), dry air aloft and this sounding pretty much explains the rest, shear can help out by sustaining hail in a updraft allowing the hail to grow in size, ima just put this here since this is the learning thread and this thread is not used much, lol, a mod can delete the one I put in the March thread
2A1C829B-1FE2-438E-BE13-3AB91FB6027C.jpeg

Perfect hail sounding, note such large CAPE in the hail growth zone (-10c to -30), dry air aloft and this sounding pretty much explains the rest, shear can help out by sustaining hail in a updraft allowing the hail to grow in size, ima just put this here since this is the learning thread and this thread is not used much, lol, a mod can delete the one I put in the March thread
View attachment 17940

To add to this, my rule if thumb for large hail to to see where the wetbulb zero height is. When I see that WBZ at or below 700mb along with strong instability,lapse rates and strongly negative LI, and decent bulk shear; large hail is very favored.

There’s fixed vs effective
Effective Layer uses multiple ingredients, uses effective bulk wind difference or EBWD for short, effective storm-relative helicity or ESRH for short, 100mb mean parcel COnvective available potential energy or mlCAPE), 100mb mean parcel Convective inhibitation, mlCIN) also 100mb mean parcel Lifted condensation level height, mlLCL for short
————————————————————
Fixed Layer uses A bit different ingredients, includes 0-6 km bulk wind difference, or 6BWD for short, 0-1 km storm-relative helicity, SRH1), surface based Convective available potential energy, sbCAPE), surface parcel Convective inhibitation, sbCIN), and surface parcel Lifted condensation level height, sbLCL) I’ma put this here, because why not

I had a question I wondering you guys had any idea/answer:
Is there a way to measure the UV index above the ozonosphere (where UV rays are soaked up) using the same technique that is used towards the surface (1-10 scale)? I know there are many different types of UV rays, but do you have any formula for calculating this, or guidelines? Maybe not an exact answer, but an estimate.

@Webberweather53

Question: how do dew points affect these type of ice storms?
So, when the column of air is saturated with precip (reaching 100% relative humidity) the temperature can theoretically cool to reach the Dew Point. That is called Wet-bulbing. The colder the dewpoints the colder the surface temperatures will end up being, even though they will both rise at the onset of the storm.

So, when the column of air is saturated with precip (reaching 100% relative humidity) the temperature can theoretically cool to reach the Dew Point. That is called Wet-bulbing. The colder the dewpoints the colder the surface temperatures will end up being, even though they will both rise at the onset of the storm.
Not exactly correct. The surface temp does not rise at the onset... it falls. The wet-bulb is calculated roughly by taking the difference between the air temp and the dew point. Dividing that result by 3 and subtracting that from the air temp. This will give you a good idea of the potential cooling effect that the precipitation will cause and the temperature of a saturated atmosphere.

Not exactly correct. The surface temp does not rise at the onset... it falls. The wet-bulb is calculated roughly by taking the difference between the air temp and the dew point. Dividing that result by 3 and subtracting that from the air temp. This will give you a good idea of the potential cooling effect that the precipitation will cause and the temperature of a saturated atmosphere.
That wasn’t necessary what I meant, I shouldn’t have said onset, yes the surface temperature cool to the wetbulb (I appreciate the formula), but I was referring to the gradual rise in temperature during this storm due to WAA.

Last edited:
So what exactly is happening here with this potential on Christmas? What exactly is convective snow? What are these showers it’s showing? Why are they on the backend? Thanks for everyone’s help and openness to helping out a novice!

Back