• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern Jarring January

The gefs still likes the idea of a system next Thursday and Friday
87275697c3355586bd63a4bf74388fb0.jpg

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

So what would be on the table? App runner? Late bloomer? Southern slider?

Can the models be bad ? Yes, but they are just one tool used to make a forecast . I think In the southeast it's the unrealistic expectations that make it seem like the models are busting all the time when in reality it's people forgetting we live in the southeast . Let's be real winter weather is rare in the southeast and SOOOO many thing have to come together for systems to work out. I think people see systems on the models and just assume it's logical without really understanding how the model got to thst conclusion in the first . Many times you can look at 500mb and then the surface output and realize the two don't match up. But i think it all starts with the unrealistic expectations
Well, you're right. When I look at a model I assume it has the right idea and I go with it. You would think they would perform better but then again we know it's rare, so I guess that's why we try to bank on individual systems. I mean look where we are now. The cold air won't be a problem but we can't even get the moisture with it! Do we suck that much in the southeast? I think that what's making us so desperate. We got all this cold air for nothing and as SOON as it moderates then we get moisture as rain. Like really?! That's pathetic. That's why I'm sceptical of the Euro holding the cold on long enough because it seems we are always so close and yet so far. The southeast will forever be the ban of snow lovers I guess but it's not like we can move north.

Sure it happens everywhere but again , winter weather isn't that common in the southeast so expectations are crazy unrealistic down here . Up there they are happy when systems bust . I lived in Michigan for 4 years . People love it when systems bust

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk
Ok, can I ask what are your expectations in regards to winter weather? I mean 1-3 inches of snow may be good, but to me it seems like some are overdue for 6+. I mean come on. With gulf moisture and cold air 6+ inches down here shouldn't be to much to ask. Yet we can hardly get an inch sometimes. I wish we could have storms like 1936, 1940, etc. Again. Yet even that seems like a once in a lifetime and out of our reach.

It goes back to the fundamental equations of meteorology. In order to get vertical motion (and resultantly precipitation) you have to have warm air advection. You can have all the cold you want, but if you don't get some warm air advection you will never get any rising air that ultimately results in wintry weather. Unfortunately, living in the south we are usually near the boundary of the cold air masses. As the cold erodes, we get precipitation. It's the way meteorology works.
That's why I hate the bitter cold air like we had last week, because it usually means cold and dry. In fact, it was so dry it hurt us getting more snow here than we could have once the precip moved in. If we are around 28 to 30 degrees, that seems to be when we have a good shot and more significant snow here.

People tend to treat modeling as what will happen versus using it as a tool to help make a forecast. Thats where the biggest problem lies. Modeling needs to be looked at with an educated mind, of sorts. This is why we pushed for so many to look along at 500mb with us with the last East coast threat to learn.

You don't need a meteorology degree to learn the basics, but learning to use all of the maps, especially 500mb, over just the surface depiction/ptype maps is key.

People tend to treat modeling as what will happen versus using it as a tool to help make a forecast. Thats where the biggest problem lies.
Correct. Most of us aren't educated or experienced enough to take that information and make a forecast.

12Z Euro: stupid cold showing again 1/17-18 though not quite as cold some areas like ATL but colder in others like RAH

12Z Euro: stupid cold showing again 1/17-18 though not quite as cold some areas liek atl but colder in others like RAH
Sounds like it might be more like the last EPS then with the core of the cold in NC and the midatlantic?

Euro is likely to have a small chance at Wintry precip, then a much bigger towards the end of the run.

Edit* temps poop out.

Back