• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry January 8-9, 2018 Ice threat

I'm sure throughout the year a system will " over perform " by .1 of an inch many times. If it happens in late spring or summer time it won't even be noticed. But if we have a model drying this up over NE Alabama and we do actually wind up with .1 of an inch of precip. It could be life threatening. Jason Simpson a meteorologist out of Huntsville said the soil temp even at 4 inches deep was at 28 degrees. With that temp. A little ice would have a lot more impact than it normally does

Yup the Deep South learned a very valuable lesson with ice accretion and arctic air back in Jan. 2014... It is a HUGE factor and brought the South to its "knees" back then.

... Carry on

Charlie, I'm desperate! Especially knowing that James Spann country rec'd 3-400% of their average annual snowfall!
(I'm a Birmingham native BTW)
Please tell me that the I-85 corridor (GSP-CLT-RDU) will receive a respectable winter weather event this year.
Haha I hear ya. I Hope you Can score up that way. Good news is we have a long way to go !!!

NAM still showing some very light precip over western parts of NC tomorrow afternoon. I suspect we'll have a heavy overcast most of the day. If so, temps will be slow to warm and surface temps in most places will be aob freezing.
TW

NAM looks a little drier. Funny win it was a bigger deal being modeled, we were worried about the high scooting out, but NAM keeps popping one over NGA, now that it's basically sprinkles! :(

.20-.30" of ZR
9_C15_AE27-_FE8_C-4641-_B27_F-1250520_A05_D0.png

Back