• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern January 2021 - Joyless January

21 at RDU. The no teens streak continues !
Seems as if it was listed as 20F in the climate data report. Tomorrow will mark 2 years since the last <20F low at RDU (a low of 18F on January 31, 2019). Crazy to think that the 2017-18 winter had FIFTEEN days with a low below 20F at RDU and the last two winters have had zero so far.

Seems as if it was listed as 20F in the climate data report. Tomorrow will mark 2 years since the last <20F low at RDU (a low of 18F on January 31, 2019). Crazy to think that the 2017-18 winter had FIFTEEN days with a low below 20F at RDU and the last two winters have had zero so far.
First week of Jan 2018 was probably the coldest we will ever experience average temp wise . I mean that first week was the coldest ever if I’m not mistaken if not close to it . Not too mention the record streak below freezing . We due a warmest week ever if you ask me !

Jan 2018 was probably the coldest we will ever experience average temp wise . I mean that first week was the coldest ever if I’m not mistaken if not close to it . Not too mention the record streak below freezing . We due a warmest week ever if you ask me !
I don't think so. The torches we had in February 2017-19 probably were close to that. Last year we had a week in January where we had several days with highs in the upper 60s-low 70s and lows in the upper 50s-low 60s, that's likely one of RDU's warmest weeks in January on record if not the warmest. It's been over 5 years, but Christmas week in 2015 shattered warmth records.

The torches we had in February 2017-19 probably were close to that. Last year we had a week in January where we had several days with highs in the upper 60s-low 70s and lows in the upper 50s-low 60s, that's likely one of RDU's warmest weeks in January on record if not the warmest.
No, January 2005 would hold that record . First half of the month had 11 days above 70. Ones that didn’t hit 70 were in the 60s .

I'm pretty sure RDU hit 70°F at least once from every month from February 2015 to November 2020. That streak was due to end at some point. Now we're going to go all of December and January without one 70°F day. I doubt we go all of February without hitting 70, though.

I'm pretty sure RDU hit 70°F at least once from every month from February 2015 to November 2020. That streak was due to end at some point. Now we're going to go all of December and January without one 70°F day. I doubt we go all of February without hitting 70, though.
Yeah but every winter month averages at least 2 days above 70. January included , the streak was going to be broken eventually but who would have thought with the second lowest max in Jan ever .

Yeah but every winter month averages at least 2 days above 70. January included , the streak was going to be broken eventually but who would have thought with the second lowest max in Jan ever .
That's definitely a surprise, considering our lowest high temperature this month has only been 39°F so far. Tomorrow has a chance to be colder than that, but it appears nearly certain that the subfreezing high drought will continue for now (which is at over 2 years). For warm weather lovers, recent torches have made this January seem cold when it has been near or very slightly above average statistically speaking. Even in a warming climate we're not going to torch all the time.

That's definitely a surprise, considering our lowest high temperature this month has only been 39°F so far. Tomorrow has a chance to be colder than that, but it appears nearly certain that the subfreezing high drought will continue for now (which is at over 2 years).
Forgot about that, we averaged 2.7 days at or below freezing in a year , and 14 at or below 40 during the year 81-10. Definitely another impressive streak . Don’t think we have ever had a winter like this period ! Most stable winter by far I’d wager .

Back