• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry Jan 6-7 2022 Winter potential

Sapporo Japan, Stampede Pass WA, Valdez AK, or Mount Washington NH. All average over 100 inches per year.

Getting snow wouldn't be anywhere near the same for me personally if I were at a place that gets tons of it. Actually, I'd probably get sick of it and want a break. If getting tons of snow every winter were important to me, I would have moved north long ago. But it isn't. And I actually moved to a place getting much less on average....none during 75% of winters. It is the novelty of getting a rare deep south snow as well as the tracking of it that excites the heck out of me. If a place had snowcover most days of winter, it would become ordinary to me. If a place had snow all of the time and thus didn't close down for it, it would be anticlimactic.

Getting snow wouldn't be anywhere near the same for me personally if I were at a place that gets tons of it. Actually, I'd probably get sick of it and want a break. If getting tons of snow every winter were important to me, I would have moved north long ago. But it isn't. And I actually moved to a place getting much less on average....none during 75% of winters. It is the novelty of getting a rare deep south snow as well as the tracking of it that excites the heck out of me. If a place had snowcover most days of winter, it would become ordinary to me. If a place had snow all of the time and thus didn't close down for it, it would be anticlimactic.
I generally like it if its going to be cold. After March, Im ready to see it melt. But November on, bring it, and the cold.

I would like to move to the TN side of the Smokey Mountains. Just enough snow to enjoy but not enough for it to become a nuisance.

There is definitely some truth to this. I would definitely still like to live in a snowier climate than I do, but snow is also a fairly minor part of my life overall. I don’t base where I live based on the climate, though I suppose if it were snowier that would be the icing on the cake! I like it here, so I don’t plan on moving, and I was fairly content during my years in Florida with regards to the climate. In some ways, it was better than here since there was not even any illusion of getting any significant snow for the most part (aside from January 2018), so I didn’t waste hours and hours every winter and pining for snow that usually doesn’t deliver! ?

Getting snow wouldn't be anywhere near the same for me personally if I were at a place that gets tons of it. Actually, I'd probably get sick of it and want a break. If getting tons of snow every winter were important to me, I would have moved north long ago. But it isn't. And I actually moved to a place getting much less on average....none during 75% of winters. It is the novelty of getting a rare deep south snow as well as the tracking of it that excites the heck out of me. If a place had snowcover most days of winter, it would become ordinary to me. If a place had snow all of the time and thus didn't close down for it, it would be ananticlimactic.
It's totally not the same. You think anyone up north gets excited about 1-3" of snow ? Snow is so much more exciting in the south. I think the I-40 corridor is the ideal location because you get snow every winter but you still get excitement over it.

There is definitely some truth to this. I would definitely still like to live in a snowier climate than I do, but snow is also a fairly minor part of my life overall. I don’t base where I live based on the climate, though I suppose if it were snowier that would be the icing on the cake! I like it here, so I don’t plan on moving, and I was fairly content during my years in Florida with regards to the climate. In some ways, it was better than here since there was not even any illusion of getting any significant snow for the most part (aside from January 2018), so I didn’t waste hours and hours every winter and pining for snow that usually doesn’t deliver! ?
Nothing wrong with near year round tropical either. I enjoy that as well.

It's totally not the same. You think anyone up north gets excited about 1-3" of snow ? Snow is so much more exciting in the south. I think the I-40 corridor is the ideal location because you get snow every winter but you still get excitement over it.
This. I use to want to move somewhere like northeast Ohio or Indiana, especially during years where I only got 2 or less inches. Luckily that almost never happens 3 years in a row here. But now I realize how much I like living in Tennessee and that a big snow or two a winter is much more exciting. When we get multiple winters with big snows I realize that getting even 5-6 big snows a year would probably get a little tiresome with the cold weather that comes with it. It also makes it much more fun to track and wonder what or what not each winter will bring. 15,16,18,21 and 22 have all been winters with at least one 3 inch plus snow. Most of those years it was multiple snows so the last 5 winters out of 7 have been excellent. I’m now more then content living here in the great state of Tennessee. As for my old state California. Golden state my ass!

Ever since I moved up here to Montana just seeing snow fall bring excitement but Honestly even though we average quite a bit of snowfall each winter the ice chilling wind and temps is what has me less enthused

I'm waiting for my first snowstorm here. I'm just curious to compare it to living in Dallas and Alabama with much worse snow climo. For one we actually have plows here ???

Back