• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Tropical Hurricane Hanna

WTNT33 KNHC 260235
TCPAT3

BULLETIN
Hurricane Hanna Advisory Number 13
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL082020
1000 PM CDT Sat Jul 25 2020

...HANNA CONTINUES TO MOVE INLAND OVER SOUTHERN TEXAS...
...STILL PRODUCING HURRICANE CONDITIONS NEAR THE COAST...

SUMMARY OF 1000 PM CDT...0300 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...26.6N 98.0W
ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM NNE OF MCALLEN TEXAS
ABOUT 35 MI...60 KM W OF PORT MANSFIELD TEXAS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75 MPH...120 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WSW OR 250 DEGREES AT 9 MPH...15 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...979 MB...28.91 INCHES

Looks like the tornado threat will be going up tonight in southern Texas. Tornado watch issued. There have already been a couple warnings issued tonight.4A89D307-648A-4304-A084-695A05C0D415.png

Area of subsidence between the LLC of TD8, and the lower pressures closer to the mid-level vorticity that are seemingly spiraling towards each other, sort of looks like an eye feature. I've seen this with other storms when vorticities begin to stack up. Once that happens, environmental conditions look almost perfect for rapid intensification. I can imagine a scenario where Hurricane Hunters fail to find tropical storm force winds tonight, and this develops into Hurricane Hanna by tomorrow morning or early afternoon.

This could be an exciting 48 hours. In regards to development of waves into cyclones, these are the types of storms and situations that ignite my passion in meteorology.

About 24 hours off with my overzealous hurricane call, and I I'll admit that I thought it could get close to Category 3 if it hadn't been for that meddling mid-level shear coming off the Texas coast. On Wunderground, I was mercilessly attacked when I made my hurricane call during the mid-afternoon, last Thursday. The amount of criticism I received makes the political thread on SouthernWx look like the model UN. Honestly, the number of people I've seen posting over the last decade that can't read an IR or Water Vapor satellite imagery is just astounding to me, and so many people were completely lost when the models went cold on Hanna.

Anyway, Hanna was a fun storm, and it's a good thing that it didn't live up to the last H-storm that hit Texas.

Back