• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

GRIB Files

SD

Administrator
Reaction score
Can someone please help me understand GRIB files. I just found out that I can add any model data I want to WSV3 with the GRIB file but I have no idea where to start. Hep!

GRIB data is the standard data format for all weather models, with the alternate being NetCDF. You don’t need to understand it because you’re not doing any programming to degrib the file; that’s done already in WSV3. I included some links below with GFS GRIB. I know it’s already in the program, but just as a start. If you want other models, just Google “[enter model] GRIB data” and if it’s free, you’ll find it. In WSV3, all you need to do is send the file to your destination folder and upload it.

GRIB data is the standard data format for all weather models, with the alternate being NetCDF. You don’t need to understand it because you’re not doing any programming to degrib the file; that’s done already in WSV3. I included some links below with GFS GRIB. I know it’s already in the program, but just as a start. If you want other models, just Google “[enter model] GRIB data” and if it’s free, you’ll find it. In WSV3, all you need to do is send the file to your destination folder and upload it.

It's this easy?

Yes, all the hard work of converting and having tools to plot the imagery in WSV is done. You could even setup a scheduled task to auto download the gribs if you wanted, but takes lots of hard drive space

I just dont get it and I can't find any decent tutorials online. None of the grib2 files I have in the WSV3 files match the names of the actual grib files from NCEP. How do I know what parameters I am looking at? How do I actually download the GRIB file into WSV3? I think once I figured that out I would be ok but I can't figure out how to point things in the right direction

Back