• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Learning Global Warming facts and fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
CO2 emissions are down drastically thanks to the virus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What has it done to the atmospheric CO2 levels? I assume it would take years of reduced emissions to noticeably drop the current concentrations.

What has it done to the atmospheric CO2 levels? I assume it would take years of reduced emissions to noticeably drop the current concentrations.

I have no Idea but the plants are soaking it up now due with the growing season starting.

I've been wondering lately. With so many countries around the world shutting down all but essential travel, how's our CO2 coming along? Whatever we believe about AGW, I think we can all agree that less pollution is a positive.

I've been wondering lately. With so many countries around the world shutting down all but essential travel, how's our CO2 coming along? Whatever we believe about AGW, I think we can all agree that less pollution is a positive.
I don’t have numbers on hand, but you can bet CO2 emissions are way down over the last few months.

Once all these glaciers that are unstable start plunging into the sea it will make this virus look like nothing as far as disruption goes. I have zero confidence in humanity after the way this virus was handled by ignoring the warnings.

Once all these glaciers that are unstable start plunging into the sea it will make this virus look like nothing as far as disruption goes. I have zero confidence in humanity after the way this virus was handled by ignoring the warnings.

Dude this is not the political thread........ We have cut emissions globally and you still find something to complain about. Are you ever positive about anything?

Dude this is not the political thread........ We have cut emissions globally and you still find something to complain about. Are you ever positive about anything?

Nope. Look around you. And how is humanity’s failure political?

Humans generally do what they are forced to do. That's both unfortunate and sad.

However not everyone is so sure the global community will apply learnings from the COVID-19 response to climate change.

"COVID-19 may deliver some short-term climate benefits by curbing energy use, or even longer-term benefits if economic stimulus is linked to climate goals — or if people get used to telecommuting and thus use less oil in the future," said Jason Bordoff, a former U.S. National Security Council senior director and special assistant to President Barack Obama in an op-ed published in Foreign Policy on Friday. "Yet any climate benefits from the COVID-19 crisis are likely to be fleeting and negligible," he said.

Instead, the issues with keeping the pandemic under control indicate that solving climate change will be virtually impossible. "The pandemic is a reminder of just how wicked a problem climate change is because it requires collective action, public understanding and buy-in, and decarbonizing the energy mix while supporting economic growth and energy use around the world," said Bordoff, who is now a professor and founding director of the Center on Global Energy Policy at Columbia University's School of International and Public Affairs.

If it never gets cold or snows again... it's still not Global Warming. Maybe it just because God doesn't want us to have snow anymore.

I. KATL Going from 1961-1990 to 1991-2020 in the means:
A. KATL lows:
- Dec: rose from 35.0 to 38.3 (+3.3)
- Jan: rose from 31.5 to 35.4 (+3.9)
- Feb: rose from 34.5 to 38.8 (+4.3)
- DJF: rose from 33.7 to 37.5 (+3.8)

B. KATL highs:
- Dec rose from 54.0 to 55.7 (+1.7)
- Jan rose from 50.4 to 53.6 (+3.2)
- Feb rose from 55.1 to 57.9 (+2.8)
- DJF rose from 53.2 to 55.7 (+2.5)

Note that winter lows rose faster than highs did. I attribute this to the increase in the airport warming effect due to weaker radiational cooling as time has gone on.
--------------------------------------------------
II. KAHN (Athens, GA, where they don't have the KATL airport warming effect on lows):
A. KAHN lows:
- Dec: rose from 35.0 to 36.4 (+1.4)
- Jan: rose from 31.9 to 33.9 (+2.0)
- Feb: rose from 34.5 to 37.0 (+2.5)
- DJF: rose from 33.8 to 35.8 (+2.0)

Note that winter lows went from 0.1 warmer than KATL for 1961-90 to a whopping 1.7 colder than KATL for 1991-2020, a clear indicator of the KATL warming effect for lows. So, this tells me increased warming effect of KATL for mean winter lows has likely been nearly 2F over last 30 years. This is independent of GW.

B. KAHN highs:
- Dec rose from 55.0 to 56.3 (+1.3)
- Jan rose from 51.6 to 54.2 (+2.6)
- Feb rose from 56.2 to 58.3 (+2.1)
- DJF rose from 54.3 to 56.3 (+2.0)

- Note that unlike KATL, winter lows rose the same amount as highs. This makes sense since KAHN doesn't have the airport related warming effect on lows.
- Since at KAHN winter lows and high both rose 2.0 F, I am guessing that GW caused N GA winters to warm ~2 F over the past 30 years.
- Note that KAHN highs remained warmer than KATL highs. That's because the airport effect is minimal for highs and the lower elevation of KAHN (219 feet) vs KATL has always favored warmer highs at KAHN (more downslope). That's even after figuring that highs when there's all day long CAD likely average 1-2 colder at KAHN.

Last edited:
AGW is still raging with the virus taking the spotlight. We were one of the few places on the planet below normal for May while Siberia roasted with temps reaching the 80s above the arctic circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back