• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 7-8 Winter storm

Severe weather threat needs to be watched, this setup resembles the last one a bit, just a bit weaker 758122F8-A8B7-42A9-A332-69F95ECDDA89.png06719DE5-4391-4482-8809-CD1F81D20BDD.png

Freezing fog now.. strange. Don't really recall a 3 plus inch snow in Chattanooga followed by a freezing fog event like this. Beautiful though.

I estimated about 2-2.5” on my car at Winterplace when I left around 10:30 PM. It was just flurrying when I left with some freezing fog. Most of that snow fell in about a 60-minute period of pure rakeage. Certainly the heaviest snow I’ve seen since at least February 2015 (not saying much considering I lived in FL most of the time since). The skiing conditions were insanely good when it was pouring. I guess that’s what it’s like to ski in Colorado. The black diamonds became so much easier!!!

I thought my face might freeze off when I was skiing down in the heavy snow, haha. It certainly stings!

I’ll maybe post some photos tomorrow if I remember to.

Here's a condensed summary of the snow reports everyone on this forum (& americanwx) posted earlier today. If you would like to report what you saw in your backyard, please don't hesitate to add to this extensive list, it's very slim pickings for snowfall reports in NW Georgia & extreme NE Alabama right now from what I can tell.

Even if FFC doesn't release a public information statement or total map for GA later, this should be a nice starting point to make a big multi-state map once CoCoRaHS reports trickle in.

I'm hoping to make this look pretty sometime tomorrow, any new report(s) will help immensely.

View attachment 33672

Clayton, GA: 8”
Blairsville, GA: 6"
Cleveland, GA: 6”
Dahlonega, GA: 6"
Ellijay, GA: 4.6”
N Forsyth Co, GA: 4.5”
Toccoa, GA: 4.5”
Oconee, SC: 4.3”
Cumming, GA 4”
Forsyth Co, GA: 4”
Hixson, TN: 4”
Jasper, GA: 4”
Tunnel Hill, GA: 4”
Chattanooga, TN: 3.5”
Crandall, GA: 3.5”
Fort Oglethorpe, GA: 3.5”
Lake Toxaway, NC: 3.5”
Lavonia, GA: 3.5”
Murray Co, GA: 3.5”
Franklin, NC: 3.3”
Cashiers, NC: 3”
Braselton, GA: 3”
Dalton, GA: 3”
Marietta, SC: 3”
Buford, GA: 2.5”
Canton, GA: 2.5”
Liberty, SC: 2.5”
NE Cobb Co GA: 2.5”
Pendleton, SC: 2.5”
Suwanee, GA: 2.5”
Woodstock, GA: 2.5”
Balsam Gap, NC: 2”
Roswell, GA: 2”
Stone Mtn, GA: 2”
Wolf Laurel, NC: 2”
Crabtree, NC: 1.5”
Greenville, SC: 1”
Morgan, NC: 1”
Sand Rock, AL: 1”
Marion, NC: 0.5”
Smyrna, GA: 0.5”
Decatur, GA: 0.2”
Bostic, NC: 0.1”
Spartanburg, SC: 0.1”
Statesville, NC: 0.1”
Atlanta (Hartsfield-Jackson) T
Asheboro, NC: T
Bethlehem, NC: T
Burlington, NC: T
Charlotte, NC: T
Clinton, SC: T
Concord, NC: T
Denver, NC: T
Greenwood, SC: T
Haw River, NC: T
Hickory, NC: T
Indian Trail, NC: T
King, NC: T
Matthews, NC: T
Mooresville, NC: T
Mt Airy: T
Newberry, SC: T
Randleman, NC: T
Troy, NC: T
Waxhaw, NC: T
Whitmire, SC: T
Winston-Salem, NC: T
We are in Ooltewah, TN ( suburb just NE of the Chattanooga airport). Officially the airport reported 2.8". We had 4" of super wet, heavy snow at hour home in Ooltewah. Snow ended around 10:30 a.m. and by 3p.m. the temp had risen to 40* and most of the snow had melted.
928aa61030366990900350a34eed1795.jpg
ef8311e7169215f43f8bb0326e303671.jpg
57a3536fae94486ebee48c694f64f480.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

So my inch doesn’t even show up? Not sure they captured the scope of this event accurately
Yeah it doesn’t capture the maximum accumulation and has relatively coarse resolution. Given the invaluable input everyone here has provided, the scouring thru social media, & the addition of cocorahs reports, I will have updated, final maps for NC, SC, & GA later today as well as a regional analysis of this event.

Yeah it doesn’t capture the maximum accumulation and has relatively coarse resolution. Given the invaluable input everyone here has provided, the scouring thru social media, & the addition of cocorahs reports, I will have updated, final maps for NC, SC, & GA later today as well as a regional analysis of this event.

Thanks for the work you put in man, truly appreciated

I want to also thank you for your invaluable posts and analysis.

As with any event, there are outliers with accumulations (either high or low) - this was complicated by borderline temps yesterday and lots of melting (at least for my area just north of I-85/south of DT Greenville). Still, it was a beautiful event - mod to heavy snowfall for our area during midday - rare for SC. Additionally, I consider this a "perfect" snowfall with accumulations only on grass and not roads (I despise driving on snow/ice).

...We are in Ooltewah, TN ( suburb just NE of the Chattanooga airport). Officially the airport reported 2.8". We had 4" of super wet, heavy snow at hour home in Ooltewah. Snow ended around 10:30 a.m. and by 3p.m. the temp had risen to 40* and most of the snow had melted....

wow! lived in Chattanooga for about 2 years, miss it immensely (lived on Missionary Ridge) - the Upstate of SC is nice (esp DT Greenville and being close to Western NC mountains) but Chattanooga's scenery/backdrop is unmatched in the Southeast, with the exception of Asheville
the NWS there (MRX) is super conservative and probably forecasted flurries!
most of our snow here is gone as well...

Last edited:
Thanks for the work you put in man, truly appreciated
I want to also thank you for your invaluable posts and analysis.

As with any event, there are outliers with accumulations (either high or low) - this was complicated by borderline temps yesterday and lots of melting (at least for my area just north of I-85/south of DT Greenville). Still, it was a beautiful event - mod to heavy snowfall for our area during midday - rare for SC. Additionally, I consider this a "perfect" snowfall with accumulations only on grass and not roads (I despise driving on snow/ice).

Thanks for the kind words, definitely helps keep me going when you're staring at a computer screen for hours on end.

Damn Southeast Ridge got banned? I've been gone for too long. Shows how crappy this winter has been and how having a job instead of being in college has stollen all my time lol.

Has CoreyTucker made his way back yet this winter?

Back