• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Wintry February 19-21, 2020 Winter Storm

HRRR putting Atlanta on flurry watch early in the AM
Precip starting to develop ITP right now. Now we just wait and see if anything frozen actually makes it to the surface over the next few hours. 925mb (-1C) and 850mb (-3C) temps are subfreezing according to SPC.

EDIT: 4Z HRRR This is wild, snowband sitting right over me with DBZs in the 30-35 range. That's heavy snow.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 12.07.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-21 at 12.07.47 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:
38 here and drizzling in Goose Creek. 925mb cold enough but 850mb still running about 2C

Our bigger storm is coming man. It can't keep holding out forever (I hope).

The 2014 localized deal here, I think you saw some not too long ago along the coast.. these nickle and dime events.. soon.. hopefully.

This nasty band has setup right over Newport News and points East as the coastal is starting to pivot...heavy snow but 6 miles back to the west it’s bone dry70743C0E-206A-498F-B29F-CFB513E23951.jpeg

1/3/18 here was crazy. But the cutoff was so sharp. I think Orangeburg had 5” that storm while Columbia had almost nothing. And it basically skipped over Horry County. That snow didn’t melt till that next Monday here. Six days. You probably have to go back to ‘14 for the last SC-wide storm.

Our bigger storm is coming man. It can't keep holding out forever (I hope).

The 2014 localized deal here, I think you saw some not too long ago along the coast.. these nickle and dime events.. soon.. hopefully.

Does anyone think South Carolina will ever see a big snow storm again? I’m not talking northern upstate. I’m talking everyone even below the dreaded i85 line. It’s been a while.

Does anyone think South Carolina will ever see a big snow storm again? I’m not talking northern upstate. I’m talking everyone even below the dreaded i85 line. It’s been a while.
Yes. But there’s a reason CAE (for example) averages so little snow. It just doesn’t snow that much. Keep in mind Columbia recorded over half a decade’s worth of snow in a single storm in 2010 (the Valentine’s Day storm). But it’s been a pretty bad drought since, for sure.

Maybe just got to get everything time just right really need a storm to come in at night instead of during the day to maximize colder air

Getting some very light returns developing nearby. Will be interesting to see what happens with them.596CDAE1-20BC-4479-9585-E320EA024838.png

Half an hour ago it was raining, but it looked like there could have been some wet flakes mixed in or maybe I'm just delusional idk.?‍♂️?

EDIT: Temp dropped to 38/34. WB is 36.5

Half an hour ago it was raining, but it looked like there could have been some wet flakes mixed in or maybe I'm just delusional idk.?‍♂️?

EDIT: Temp dropped to 38/34. WB is 36.5
Starting to get some showers here as well. 36.9/36.4. Have to imagine if the temperature goes down another degree or two it will change to snow given the cold upper air in place.

Measured some areas with 2 inches and some with 3 inches ... overall this was probably the wettest snow I’ve seen in a while.. stuck to literally everything in sight and you could pick it up and squish it a bit and an immediate snowball .. for this crappy winter this was an A+ event for me ... truly love seeing and tracking winter weather and it’s what got me into weather in the first place .. that’s why my inner weenie comes out a lot when tracking this type of stuff
Glad you scored some snow buddy!!! You are always so positive and calm even when things are looking very gloomy winter weather wise. I like seeing people get snow who aren’t constantly declaring winter is over from December on.

Looks like most folks area-wide either verified the low end of my forecast map or busted low, I think air temps being in the middle 30s, just above freezing coupled w/ warm ground temps and dendrites that weren't efficient at accumulating to begin with caused most of the issues wrt snow accumulations. I'm very curious to hear about what everyone received in their backyards when the final flakes fell.

Looks like most folks area-wide either verified the low end of my forecast map or busted low, I think air temps being in the middle 30s, just above freezing coupled w/ warm ground temps and dendrites that weren't efficient at accumulating to begin with caused most of the issues wrt snow accumulations. I'm very curious to hear about what everyone received in their backyards when the final flakes fell.
I got 3". It looks like RDU airport received 2.5"

From their climate report: SNOWFALL (IN) YESTERDAY 2.5 R 0.8 0.1 2.4 0.0

My back yard temp has fallen to 25. Still got over 2" on all elevated surfaces and grass. Its frozen solid and feels more like sleet. Temps today are suppose to stay in the 30s to lower 40s. As RAH states this will set us up for our coldest night.

RAH:
As the center of the high reaches central North Carolina tonight, winds will become nearly calm. Clear skies and calm winds will allow for maximum radiational cooling tonight, and considering the fresh snow cover, have under cut model guidance by a few degrees. The predicted low of 21 degrees at RDU would make it the coldest night of the season - the coldest temperature of the season so far at RDU has been 24 degrees.

Back