• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

Even so, the 12Z EPS maintains the colder 12/19-22 in much of the country including the SE with its wedge. It is still warm late, but it could be too slow to break down the SER and even if not, MJO climo and many CFS runs have been suggesting that the E US, especially MW to NE will get much colder a few days later.
To me it seems like the Aluetian ridge is going to have to come east, or the -NAO retrograde to west based. And the models could very well be off with the placement and strength of the -NAO but that Aluetian ridge has became a pita lately and it's probably modeled correctly. Again I'm not doubting the pros and hope for a late Dec flip. I'm just cautiously optimistic and basing my thoughts on experience in watching patterns and models for the last 15 years.

To me it seems like the Aluetian ridge is going to have to come east, or the -NAO retrograde to west based. And the models could very well be off with the placement and strength of the -NAO but that Aluetian ridge has became a pita lately and it's probably modeled correctly. Again I'm not doubting the pros and hope for a late Dec flip. I'm just cautiously optimistic and basing my thoughts on experience in watching patterns and models for the last 15 years.
Well pacific still has a lot work to me get there to get nothing but glancing in and out cold moving forward … I would be very cautiously optimistic for sure …

Thanks for posting! This looks fantastic. I do want to caution folks that the WxBell 2M anomalies are almost always way too extreme on both ends for some reason.

For example, these WxBell maps which are in degrees C have some SE areas going from 27 F AN one five day period to 30 F BN the next five day period! So, the best thing to do is to look at the overall idea of the anomalies rather than assuming the actual numbers resemble reality.

Edit: they are in degrees F, not C. My error. But they still look way too extreme to me going from +15 the first 5 day period to -17 the next with the SE at the bottom of the cold. I’ve compared these maps to the ones I get on older runs and they were inflated then vs my maps.

Last edited:
Well pacific still has a lot work to me get there to get nothing but glancing in and out cold moving forward … I would be very cautiously optimistic for sure …
Yeah I'm just trying not to set myself up for disappointment. This could progress quite nicely but just taking it verbatim today for arguments sake it could end up like last February for the southeast where it never gets past the mountains. You in western TN have less to be concerned about imo. What's almost certain is some of the coldest anominales in the world are in NA and will undoubtedly move to the lower 48. Who gets it is just going to depend on where exactly the EPO and NAO setup. I don't think the PNA is going to offer any help at all.

Yeah I'm just trying not to set myself up for disappointment. This could progress quite nicely but just taking it verbatim today for arguments sake it could end up like last February for the southeast where it never gets past the mountains. You in western TN have less to be concerned about imo. What's almost certain is some of the coldest anominales in the world are in NA and will undoubtedly move to the lower 48. Who gets it is just going to depend on where exactly the EPO and NAO setup. I don't think the PNA is going to offer any help at all.

I just would like to have a January near normal instead of another torch. I’m not looking for anything more. With what I’m seeing, that is attainable. If you’re looking for more, be prepared for disappointment. We may not even get the near normal but that seems like a decent possibility imo.

Now from Chicago to NYC, the cold could get pretty extreme!

I just would like to have a January near normal instead of another torch. I’m not looking for anything more. With what I’m seeing, that is attainable. If you’re looking for more, be prepared for disappointment.
Average temps for Jan is definitely attainable. I would think a -NAO would definitely make that possible even east based. I think some are expecting Jan 18, Jan 02 and Jan 96 and we're going to see a big storm and Arctic cold based solely on the progression of the MJO matching those years. While that can't be ruled out I have my doubts by what I see as of now.

I just would like to have a January near normal instead of another torch. I’m not looking for anything more. With what I’m seeing, that is attainable. If you’re looking for more, be prepared for disappointment. We may not even get the near normal but that seems like a decent possibility imo.

Now from Chicago to NYC, the cold could get pretty extreme!
I think I speak for most when I say Chicago to NYC can keep the extreme. I just want it cold enough to snow.

Average temps for Jan is definitely attainable. I would think a -NAO would definitely make that possible even east based. I think some are expecting Jan 18, Jan 02 and Jan 96 and we're going to see a big storm and Arctic cold based solely on the progression of the MJO matching those years. While that can't be ruled out I have my doubts by what I see as of now.
As long as you have your doubts, rest of us on the board will be waiting for a miracle.

Winter storms are always a crapshoot in the SE. But at least there’d be a shot, especially for the main CAD areas and TN.

As long as you have your doubts, rest of us on the board will be waiting for a miracle.
My posts are not meant to be pessimistic. They're meant to be realistic by current data. I guess you fall into that category I was speaking of that has unrealistic expectations? It will probably get cold and snow at some point in the southeast because it's normal for it to do so in a lot of areas. I wouldn't call that a miracle. A miracle would be another March 93, Jan 2000, Feb 1973 or a Arctic outbreak like Jan 1985. Now if thats what you mean by waiting on a miracle you're going to most likely have a long wait!

I would like to see a west based nao, especially if the aleutian ridge will end up that far west. Hopefully we aren't chasing unicorns again and can get a legitimate pattern shift for cold regime at least for a while while the mjo has shifted

My posts are not meant to be pessimistic. They're meant to be realistic by current data. I guess you fall into that category I was speaking of that has unrealistic expectations? It will probably get cold and snow at some point in the southeast because it's normal for it to do so in a lot of areas. I wouldn't call that a miracle. A miracle would be another March 93, Jan 2000, Feb 1973 or a Arctic outbreak like Jan 1985. Now if thats what you mean by waiting on a miracle you're going to most likely have a long wait!

Username is definitely checking out right now, lol...

Definitely think CAD areas in the western Piedmont, upstate, and NE Georgia will see a winter storm, maybe 2, between the very end of December through mid January. Problem is I think we’re due for a legit ice storm and the pattern setting up is going to be almost perfect for one. This pattern is almost identical to what is needed to setup strong CADs but also form miller B’s. Hopefully since we’ve really froze Canada and the core of the PV will be over the NE, we can really get a good upper 1030s type high to build over and maybe cool the column enough for snow. But ice is what I’m expecting and worry about.

Back