• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

For late month, where would this absolutely frigid air in our main source region go if this map is pretty accurate? It isn’t plunging down, but would enough of it later get to the NE and then lead to an even colder wedge than the one expected for 12/19-20?? This is the coldest GEFS run up there for then yet:

EC23442D-A182-4B9D-822C-7E2A58AA3B2D.png

12Z GEFS cross polar flow brings frigid cold to our main source region as this is the coldest run up there yet. How far south would this cold air eventually get as it battles the zonal flow below it? Also, check out the N Atlantic blocking as Europe goes into the freezer:

519DD328-04C6-49DB-AA15-0C5BCD4D274D.png

12Z GEFS cross polar flow brings frigid cold to our main source region as this is the coldest run up there yet. How far south would this cold air eventually get as it battles the zonal flow below it? Also, check out the N Atlantic blocking:

View attachment 97667

We are really trying to split the polar vortex

So far this winter up here in Montana has been meh I wouldn’t be surprised if you guys down in the south have a better winter than me but I will say you guys deserve itView attachment 97624
If by better you mean the southeast will be 30 or more degrees warmer on average then yes we will have a better winter. As far as snow you must be pulling our legs. I’d imagine you’ll have multiple weeks that would take years for most of us to equal in snow accumulation and snow days.

12z Euro of the initial beginnings of the predicted time frame. Northern stream dipping down w/ the would-to-be potential winter storm over Mexico/TX boarder. The Euro doesn't show it becoming a winter storm, but it's still beyond 5 days, so what happens on later frames is still unknown.
4d3c251b442c10f60dc8eb7105707265.jpg

Back