• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

Something makes me believe the Gfs dumps too much out west .. it’s been biased in that idea for a few weeks now
I don’t think it’s been biased with westward dumping it’s been correct with it, I think it’s been biased with faster/very progressive northern stream energy on top of the ridge that’s slows down as we get closer

I don’t think it’s been biased with westward dumping it’s been correct with it, I think it’s been biased with faster/very progressive northern stream energy on top of the ridge that’s slows down as we get closer
That was my thoughts too. I always remember it being ridge happy in the west then flattening it as we get closer.

The general consensus on here is we'll have a window between the end of December and mid January. I agree with that for CAD areas but that's about it. I don't think areas from Birmingham, Atlanta over to CAE are going to be pleased come mid January. The EPO ridge is in the wrong place and the -PNA will persist. What will save CAD regions maybe is the -NAO and legit cold in the NE. I suppose it's possible to get a CAD strong enough to maybe get areas close to CAE and ATL in on action buy I wouldn't bet on it. Time will tell.

I always had a feeling the week of Christmas was to early imo, the pieces are there on top but we need to have some time to shake up what we got going on down here View attachment 97646
Something tells me the Gfs is just not seeing something properly down the road at this range .. going to take a few more days to get it settled out.. all that blocking and -NAO with a ridge under it like that? I don’t think so

Something tells me the Gfs is just not seeing something properly down the road at this range .. going to take a few more days to get it settled out.. all that blocking and -NAO with a ridge under it like that? I don’t think so
Correct, the GFS isn't quite there just yet in terms of the winter storm prediction. Taking a look at the 12z GEFS members, several of them show overrunning along the boundary while some of them even show a low developing (on later frames) that tracks east and cold enough air at the surface from CAD to produce ice in the CAD prone areas.
869efebd9733db7befdaa22e3b91ece0.jpg

12Z GEFS is even colder in the SE 12/19-20 with a strong wedge for the main CAD areas. It isn’t necessarily suggesting major ZR threat, but it is suggesting a much colder couple of days for those areas to get them into the Christmas spirit and to make those longing for cold happy with possibly some ZR:

ED8F476C-06B9-44B2-9E76-7D832A89113C.png

12Z GEFS is even colder in the SE 12/19-20 with a strong wedge for the main CAD areas. It isn’t necessarily suggesting major ZR threat, but it is suggesting a much colder couple of days for those areas to get them into the Christmas spirit and to make those longing for cold happy with possibly some ZR:

View attachment 97653
Hopefully setting all of us up for greater things to come winterwise in January. Maybe some of us can still get a "White Epiphany" (January 6). ;)

View attachment 97653
Quite a contrast between Orlando and Augusta.

What’s up with the gfs and GEFS not agreeing with each other all the time?

Quite a contrast between Orlando and Augusta.

That’s what a classic Carolina-N GA wedge often does.

Meanwhile, folks, check out the contrast at H5 between the flat 12Z GFS and the much more impressive/not flat 12Z GEFS:

12Z GFS says cold doesn’t come far south for awhile:

BF04D318-0C93-44EB-AF81-D876633C4C4C.png

In contrast, 12Z GEFS says the GFS is too flat and thus looks much better with the best look for a GEFS yet for this time:

FF1A73DC-0491-4242-A1DD-6EAADBD8895E.png

Yeah by that timeframe I think we’re approaching a torch lmao, probably when the MJO goes to crap and La Niña influenced SER starts kicking into high gear
Exactly. To me if locations outside the mountains are going to get significant winter weather this year, it going to have to happen before the end of January….even if the LaNina is weakening by February it’s going to at several months to see the full effect of it. Climo says the SER should really start pumping in February and we see an early spring…hopefully things come together for most of us to see a good snowfall when the window opens for it

Back