• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

Feel like that trough and it’s associated low in Canada/NW of the GLs needs to get out of here and get replaced with higher heights, and that introduces chances of classical CAD/ strong banana high and not some weak in-situ CAD event, the look at H5 honestly isn’t far off from some solid ice event 3FC7DEFB-3701-4BF6-BF77-39C386C68F23.pngD9A48902-2D3E-46BC-A531-D9FB8CE79333.png

Feel like that trough and it’s associated low in Canada/NW of the GLs needs to get out of here and get replaced with higher heights, and that introduces chances of classical CAD/ string banana high and not some weak in-situ CAD event, the look at H5 honestly isn’t far off from some solid ice event View attachment 97577View attachment 97578
No such thing as a solid ice event man. Cold rain is better. No one wants ice

I disagree. The results of this site contradict that.
I use to be in that I don’t want ZR camp, but I’ve switched. Seeing any type of winter precip is a rarity nowadays here, gotta cherish anything that’s frozen nowadays

So wait, discussion about weather in Texas is ok now?

When I discussed our hot temperatures this past Summer/Fall, I was lambasted by more than one member for posting because Texas isn't in the Southeast. ?
It's always been okay. As a site, we've never discriminated against people outside of the SE. Some people are just rude.

I use to be in that I don’t want ZR camp, but I’ve switched. Seeing any type of winter precip is a rarity nowadays here, gotta cherish anything that’s frozen nowadays
Honestly for our area, our ice storms over the last 15 years have turned into sleet storms anyway which I don’t mind one bit

When I discussed our hot temperatures this past Summer/Fall, I was lambasted by more than one member for posting because Texas isn't in the Southeast. ?
IMO if there’s people in here from other states outside of the southeast it’s okay to talk about them

Q

our area actually does better winter storm wise with -PNAs. Typically because our best shots at snow here are really cold CADs and overrunning events. That typically coincides with - NAO/-PNA/-EPO. +PNAs drop the hammer with the cold but typically suppress any winter storms and areas around the 95 corridor east end up getting their snows this way.

Indeed, when I look at very heavy RDU winter storms (I chose the 22 6”+ for minimum needed, which means mainly or all snow in just about all cases) since 1950, a +PNA was favored a pretty decent amount:

+PNA (+0.25+): 11 storms (50%)
Neutral PNA (-0.25 to +0.25): 7 storms (32%)
-PNA (-0.25-): 4 storms (18%)

I did this research a few years ago. So, for RDU for heavy snowstorms, there’s a partial correlation with a +PNA. I think ATL major snows (I use 3.5”+ for there) is similar but I don’t have the exact numbers readily available.

Note that this isn’t for mainly ZR/IP, which keep the total under 6”, These probably prefer a -PNA to neutral PNA for the reason you stated. I don’t know for sure though.

I think what it boils down to is that classic major SE Miller A snowstorms prefer neutral to +PNA as opposed to CAD based Miller B icestorms, which probably prefer neutral to -PNA. For the +PNA big snows, the mean trough normally needs to be fairly close to the Mississippi River so that it doesn’t suppress the storm track too far south.

It's always been okay. As a site, we've never discriminated against people outside of the SE. Some people are just rude.
What Ollie said. I've personally found having folks from outside of the region posting nice and if we grow more within the region or outside it'll be even more fun.

Back