• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

If this was already posted my apologies but I did not see it yesterday, not that we need a map to tell us but yeah it's getting very dry. I've noticed rivers, creeks and ponds are getting fairly low

View attachment 97356
The rain tomorrow won’t cure this .. but it’ll certainly be nice to wet the ground and give it as much as we can

I hope the -NAO does develop and we're not chasing a phantom like we did for basically a decade until last year. I'm still a huge fan of a -NAO even though last year it got a bad rap. It can't fix a bad Pacific but we had some decent H5 looks last year even with a bad Pacific. There just wasn't any cold air to be had on this side of the globe while we had it. It seemed the -NAO was more of a large Canadian ridge early on last year that torched Canada early on. Of course when Canada finally got cold we lost the -NAO and the SER screwed up what could have been a great February. This year there's plenty of cold up there and some of the looks we had last year might actually have a chance this year. Likely not really cold as I don't see a pattern flip to west coast ridging anytime soon and everything will modify moving east. But possibly just enough to produce something unlike last year. If we get the -NAO and still fail with the coldest air on the planet in Canada I may ditch my love affair with the -NAO. But all this is assuming the block actually develops. But it looks promising as every model has it.
This is something I’ve been looking at for months. NW Canada was torching last year at this time so without any sort of cross polar flow, there simply wasn’t going to be cold enough air to work with. I even remember Webb pointing out a couple of times that the looks with the blocking we were seeing should have been good enough for an event or two for I-20 and north if Canada had built up any cold air. As much as I would like to see a perfect Pacific and a tall western ridge, I think we could score something this year with good blocking up north and a
-NAO… especially if we get that set up going into peak climo. One thing I’ve always remembered… the biggest snowstorm that I’ve ever personally experienced in CLT metro (February 2004), happened with a -PNA.

The low so far today in Houston is 76. The normal is 46. The record highest minimum for any DJF and even M is only 74. Records go back over 100 years. Wx stat history in the making it appears.

?

1639623600-HMiNhRd3f58.png

Back