• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

... will miracles never cease ... I've stumbled across a foolproof forecasting tool ... in the spirit of the Season, I'm sharing ... ? ...

... have at it ...

I know tarheels gotta be pissed, with a foot of snow possible just to his north while he will be lucky to get a slushy inch.

Whomever "Vaughn" is, makes me sick....From KATL/KFFC

After the front moves through, Sunday's highs and lows will return
to a more seasonal state with daytime temps in the mid 50s to low
60s, and overnight lows in the 30s and 40s. Stubborn high pressure
in the gulf will turn that flow more WSW, and temperatures will
gradually begin to climb again next week toward the upper 60s and
70s by midweek. With any luck, winter will remain well north of our
area for the foreseeable future.

Vaughn

I know tarheels gotta be pissed, with a foot of snow possible just to his north while he will be lucky to get a slushy inch.
I’m good! I watched snow fall for 2 hours today, no travel issues, will watchi it snow a wind driven blizzard-like snow most of late Friday night and Saturday morning, and have 2 days in the 60s next week! I’m living my best life! Haters gonna hate! ??

Signs of real change hinted at in subseasonal guidance for a few weeks, and now showing up on operational NWP models in time for the Holidays. Once the -NAO retrogrades over and west of Greenland, the beat down of the SE US ridge will begin. Willing to bet this ridge over Alaska is more amped/poleward (Alaska + Beaufort Sea) than the EPS suggests, translating to weaker SE US ridge in the long-run.

-PNA/-NAOs are often really stormy, w/ occasional ice storms and/or severe weather in the southeastern US and TN Valley. Also, you want some rain (as many sure need it), the -NAO should direct the storm track more SEward of NINA climo w/ time.

1640325600-TrUkpknJWhE.png

1640347200-zTaKrGmFo6w.png

Vaughn
This is whamby I know, but it never ceases to amaze me when we have one day of winter weather and the mets say "give it just two days and we will have this mess out of here" as if they've been dealing with it for the entire winter. All we get is one day annually, damn deal with it.

This is whamby I know, but it never ceases to amaze me when we have one day of winter weather and the mets say "give it just two days and we will have this mess out of here" as if they've been dealing with it for the entire winter. All we get is one day annually, damn deal with it.
Preach!!! They do it even up here! It could be gonna snow 18” tomorrow and all they’d focus on is two days from now it’s gonna hit 50!! Very good point and annoying AF! Thanks ?

Here's the link to the ACCESS-S2 Monthly MJO forecast from the Australian BOM

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/#tabs=Tropics

In a La Nina winter w/ a slow-moving MJO wave like this, the NAO usually goes deeply negative when we reach phase 8. We should arrive there around or just before New Years, which is generally consistent w/ the circulation pattern on NWP models atm.
mjo_rmm.daily.20211207.png

Here's the link to the ACCESS-S2 Monthly MJO forecast from the Australian BOM

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/enso/#tabs=Tropics

In a La Nina winter w/ a slow-moving MJO wave like this, the NAO usually goes deeply negative when we reach phase 8. We should arrive there around or just before New Years, which is generally consistent w/ the circulation pattern on NWP models atm.
View attachment 97316
8 in to the COD and Webb, we may have something to do on new Year's Eve and carry that hangover on for a few days afterwards ... maybe ...

Vaughn
Must be PackBacker

8 in to the COD and Webb, we may have something to do on new Year's Eve and carry that hangover on for a few days afterwards ... maybe ...

Based on an analysis I did of temperature anomalies in January in Atlanta covering a 40 or so year period, the coldest when averaged out (so doesn’t guarantee anything but it is what I prefer to see for the best chance for cold MJOwise) was when the MJO was either just outside or inside the circle in phase 8 covering amplitudes 0.5 to 1.5 (inside circle just means amplitude under 1.0). Actually, for each and every one of the 8 phases during that 40 January period, Atlanta (and the bulk of the SE US by extension) was colder when comparing low amp to high amp as this RMM diagram with my handwritten anomalies clearly shows (no, this wasn’t for 1978….I used that one because I wanted a blank one to write on and this period in 1978 was missing RMM data):

43C9DFC6-537E-4501-8508-3CA696D1A01F.png

What I most prefer to see, especially in January, is a slow moving counterclockwise rotation just outside or inside the circle from 6 to 7 to 8 to 1 to 2 to 3 because all of those when averaged out were colder than normal as the diagram shows.

Edit: Regardless, the MJO by itself doesn’t control everything. It usually needs help from other areas. However, the MJO is by itself a rather powerful indicator.

Last edited:
Back