• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December to Remember

This is December 22 and you can see the pieces trying to come together overtop … I would say December 27-January 3rd is our flip period
If you go verbatim off of modeling. In the past modeling almost always rushes pattern changes, I don’t see this being any different. We will have multiple ser flare ups late month as the western trough keeps getting dumped. Honestly though if this sets up by mid to late January I’m more than giddy. Basically prime climo

GFS finally showing this bad boy again .. only a matter of time before it takes over our pattern.. is it before Christmas? The day of? January 1-10? All would be fine with me!View attachment 97233
Are you talking about the Greenland block, the mega -NAO? Greenland block won't necessarily mess up the pattern across the Eastern US. A -NAO is typically a good thing for production of cold/winter storms. I know it's the long range GFS, but I can actually agree with that - because I mentioned that blocking can go towards Greenland and poleward as troughs forces the blocking from the upcoming cutting storms. The colder pattern between the 17th - 22nd is still a go!

Are you talking about the Greenland block, the mega -NAO? Greenland block won't necessarily mess up the pattern across the Eastern US. A -NAO is typically a good thing for production of cold/winter storms. I know it's the long range GFS, but I can actually agree with that - because I mentioned that blocking can go towards Greenland and poleward as troughs forces the blocking from the upcoming cutting storms. The colder pattern between the 17th - 22nd is still a go!
I see nothing to lead me to believe there will be any pattern change between the 17th and 22nd. Doesn't matter how hard you look it's not there. If the MJO progression is actually correct then maybe by the 1st week in January.

17-22th is way to early

I see nothing to lead me to believe there will be any pattern change between the 17th and 22nd. Doesn't matter how hard you look it's not there. If the MJO progression is actually correct then maybe by the 1st week in January.
Agreed. While I do think it’s important that models are starting to pick up on changes, I don’t think we’ll see cold pattern dominate in the east until sometime in the first week of January. That’s not to so that we won’t see some quick hitting cool shots between now and then, but we should definitely see some warm days too the last week of the month

By "colder" you mean from mega torch to just kinda torchy.

18z GEFS favors a western dump that fires up the ser around Christmas

Welp, I tried to reverse jinx it, but my attempt seems as if it's going to not work.

Feels as if we made a deal with the devil with 12/25-26/2010, as it seems like most, if not all of the Decembers since then have torched.

If so, I have no regrets.

Back