• Hello, please take a minute to check out our awesome content, contributed by the wonderful members of our community. We hope you'll add your own thoughts and opinions by making a free account!

Pattern December 2023

That 3 above in Atlanta is UHI driven for sure. It's surrounded by 1 and 2 above which is really close to average. December felt like a very typical December of my youth.
While the point of that map is certainly accurate, the numbers are skewed up because of the stations that they are using. Locally, KPDK was +1.8, Fulton County was +1.5, Dallas, GA was +1, and Gainesville was +2.

So basically that map is not all that accurate for our area.

While the point of that map is certainly accurate, the numbers are skewed up because of the stations that they are using. Locally, KPDK was +1.8, Fulton County was +1.5, Dallas, GA was +1, and Gainesville was +2.

So basically that map is not all that accurate for our area.
Gainesville airport seems warmer than it should be a lot of times also. It's been that way for 20 years. Not sure why because it's not the UHI.

Gainesville airport seems warmer than it should be a lot of times also. It's been that way for 20 years. Not sure why because it's not the UHI.
Well some of it is definitely due to overall global warming, but I would attribute some to UHI. Hall County has been engulfed by the Atlanta megalopolis and tripled in population during that time, so I would definitely attribute a fraction to that alone.

Well some of it is definitely due to overall global warming, but I would attribute some to UHI. Hall County has been engulfed by the Atlanta megalopolis and tripled in population during that time, so I would definitely attribute a fraction to that alone.
Many times Gainesville is warmer than the Atlanta airport. The only time that should be the case sometimes is when there's winds coming off the mountains and warming the area which does happen.

Many times Gainesville is warmer than the Atlanta airport. The only time that should be the case sometimes is when there's winds coming off the mountains and warming the area which does happen.
Gainesville honestly mirrors my weather station almost exactly, and I've shown on here what my station does on radiational cooling situations. The temp drops rapidly at sunset until around 10PM, then fluctuates up and down until around 6, then drops a few degrees. This temp fluctuation is like clockwork on calm nights. I think it has to do with topography, and Gainesville sits on the ridge that basically follows I-985 from SW to NE, which is about 400' higher then areas southeast. The other caveat is Lake Lanier, but its been there since the 1960s. This is me only speculating based on what the readings are at my location. There are places less then two miles form me 150' lower that can be as much as 5-7 degrees colder then me at night.

Gainesville honestly mirrors my weather station almost exactly, and I've shown on here what my station does on radiational cooling situations. The temp drops rapidly at sunset until around 10PM, then fluctuates up and down until around 6, then drops a few degrees. This temp fluctuation is like clockwork on calm nights. I think it has to do with topography, and Gainesville sits on the ridge that basically follows I-985 from SW to NE, which is about 400' higher then areas southeast. The other caveat is Lake Lanier, but its been there since the 1960s. This is me only speculating based on what the readings are at my location. There are places less then two miles form me 150' lower that can be as much as 5-7 degrees colder then me at night.
Yeah that's a lot of truth right there I would say. I know one thing's for sure if there's a cad I'd rather be in Gainesville than anywhere else in the area.

Yeah that's a lot of truth right there I would say. I know one thing's for sure if there's a cad I'd rather be in Gainesville than anywhere else in the area.
100%

December review: Five degrees above average with one of the stronger December tornado outbreaks in the mid states recorded history’s. Not a flake of snow yet but for some reason December didn’t feel nearly as bad as the numbers show temp wise. Prayers up for those who lost their lives and property during that very scary and kind of unexpected day.

Back